Building stacking sliding door help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Building stacking sliding door help

Hi everyone,

I am working at a coffee shop this year (and hopefully a few more) and we have a dreadful two panel door on the pasty display. It was sloppily drilled on about a year ago. It's there to keep the flies out, but it mostly looks bad, doesn't open all the way and is just terrible. I offered to help fix/replace it. Do any of you have any tips on creating a stacking sliding door system that doesn't get caught? I've never built something like this before, but it's exactly what the display needs!

I'm just looking for some tips! Particularly on making the doors slide smoothly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry! I would guess that you have come to the wrong site for homeowner DIY projects. This forum deals with DIY projects for planted fish tanks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I know, but I figure it's similar to some projects people do for reptile tanks. I just wanted to see if I could get any pointers. I'm pretty confident that I can get it done either way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay. No problem on that. I quess I missed on the description of the doors wanted. On the theory that most any response is useful for keeping the subject alive, maybe a bump will get another thought going?
Are these hanging doors that one passes in front of the other? What I call bypass doors. A track at the top and bottom where the two doors ride?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah the track on top and bottom is the plan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you see a point on the doors or the track where it is hanging up and not moving correctly? This sounds quite like problems with closet doors that I've dealt with. There are often rollers at the top and some type of guide at the bottom. Lots of small things that can go wrong. Things like the wheels rubbed flat or loose or the track bent? If you can find where it is hanging that will be a start.
Easier to replace one small part if that part can be found but at times it may need a whole new track and wheels to match if things are too far gone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nothing is wrong, but mostly because I haven't built it yet. I was looking to see if anyone had any secrets to get it running smoothly when I did set it up. Sorry if that wasn't clear!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I might suggest looking for the bypass door tracks that are made to build closet doors. If one can be found that fits the door thickness, they can be cut to fit the width. Maybe a place to start but then I've not done any work on that type doors!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode