Wanting to build something to contain floating plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wanting to build something to contain floating plants

Hey all!

Just started up a 15g a few weeks ago and purchased some wonderful Azolla to help absorb nitrates and keep the levels down.

I love the plant, but its becoming a bit messy as my tank isn't calm enough to allow it to settle in the areas i'd like to see it in most.

To compensate, I was thinking of measuring/cutting a strip of plexi-glass, about 1" high, to put across the tank to contain it in one area.

Has anyone done something like this in the past? Or is there an easier solution to keeping it settled in one area of the tank?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have a 7.5g cube in which my HOB filter was overpowering the floaters creating a mess. So I cut a water bottle and rigged it to redirect the filters outflow. This change in flow direction resolved the issue and now the floaters aren't overpowered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A very simple solution includes making a loop out of air tubing, and connecting it together with a drip irrigation 1/4" tubing connector.
If you want to keep this in a particular spot you can add a suction cup that comes with a clip, suction it to the wall.

I suppose you could use a narrow sheet of thin plastic, and figure out how to hold it in place (perhaps suction cups and zip ties?)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Right now I have fishing line between suction cups in an X pattern keeping my floaters in one part of my aquarium. Four suction cups and two lines crisscrossed. I have a couple of high light need plants so need to both keep them from the hob and from over those plants. Just ordered 25 ft of airline tubing for like 4 bucks that I'll swap out the fishing line with. The fishing line works ok, but is straight line only. The tubing you can create archs, etc, for little plant corrals. Also saw someone used the tubing to corral off the hob itself if you want the plants to go everywhere but right infront of the hob. I also have water sprite that I have sitting in a floating feeder, blue square one. Saw someone selling a hob outflow protector that looked tlike metal mesh in like a 1" wide strip with two suction cups to arch around the outflow area and keep the floaters out of that area.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
A very simple solution includes making a loop out of air tubing, and connecting it together with a drip irrigation 1/4" tubing connector.
If you want to keep this in a particular spot you can add a suction cup that comes with a clip, suction it to the wall.

I suppose you could use a narrow sheet of thin plastic, and figure out how to hold it in place (perhaps suction cups and zip ties?)
This ^. I did this with my [dwarf] water lettuce and it stayed very well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hey Thanks everyone! These suggestions are fantastic, and much easier than what I was planning on trying. Both the airline tubing and the bottle sound very effective, i'm going to have to try both and see which works for my tank. =)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
got my airline tubing today and replaced the fishing line that I had there temporarily. One tiny issue I am having is getting it to straighten out. Has a bit of a twist to it so is not making a neat circle. Has a wave to it. Will have to figure it out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode