Easy live foods for small adult fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Easy live foods for small adult fish?

Anyone know some extremely easy live foods (and how to culture them?) for small adult fish like CPD's and neons? Thought about going DIY for fish food

Requirements for "types" of live food suggestions:
Be easy to culture
Must not smell
Easy to conceal or takes up small space (so hubby doesn't find them/get grossed out)

Thanks!
Featherstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I keep blackworm cultures in tupperware in my refrigerator. Easy as pie. Just keep water level slighly above the culture and refresh water every other day or so. Nothing to it. I've kept cultures for months on end. Occasionally will toss in some crushed flake, but i think their main source of food is bacteria in the water.

For smaller fish you may want to cut em up a bit:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Algae Grower

I use microworms which also work for my 4" rainbows. Two small Tupperware containers (the containers that bettas come in are perfect), and a media refresh every 2 months or so. Drop in some yeast once a week. When I open the container it smells very "yeasty" but when they're closed I don't notice any smell when I'm near them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can grow tiny water bugs like monia. They're easier than daphnia.

Grindal worms are easy. Microworms' media will stink.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If the microworms work for your rainbows I might try them. Mistergreen, if I dont have a way of maintaining greenwater for the moina/daphnia is there something else you can feed them? And would grindals be too small for 1-2in fish such as CPDs and danios?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Grindals are bigger than microworms, about 2-3x, perfect for micro fish.

You can feed water bugs, a little yeast and powdered spirulina you find at the health food store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depending on the size of your fish and your location, the easiest thing is to leave a bucket of water outside and harvest mosquito larvae. Just don't forget and let them hatch into mosquitos. I fed my whole molly colony all summer like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherstone View Post
Anyone know some extremely easy live foods (and how to culture them?) for small adult fish like CPD's and neons? Thought about going DIY for fish food

Requirements for "types" of live food suggestions:
Be easy to culture
Must not smell
Easy to conceal or takes up small space (so hubby doesn't find them/get grossed out)

Thanks!
Featherstone
Hi Featherstone,

I do white worms; a little larger than Grindel worms but about the same culture requirements. I keep my culture in a plastic storage box (about 2X a shoebox size) in a dark, cooler room temperature closet (they don't like heat). No smell at all.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Vinegar eels are a possibility. Disclaimer: this about as small a live food you can get but very, very easy. May be suitable for CPDs and smaller(definitely a great fry food!!). 50/50 water/apple cider vinegar per volume of container. Add starter culture and poof.. nearly unlimited eels. I keep several cultures in small plastic Gerber baby food containers. Sealed except to feed to fishes. I literally have not changed media or, added to these cultures in almost six months. When I say small I mean small, I think the biggest one I've seen in my cultures is 1mm. Supposedly they can get up to 2mm. Also, mosquito larvae is very easy but, YOU have to be responsible with your culture and not let them molt into adults. If you go that route I strongly urge you to maintain a few cultures and monitor their growth stages. There are lots of gov't websites you can find information on mosquito life cycles.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode