Smaller tank DIY Stand Height - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Smaller tank DIY Stand Height

i'm getting to build a stand for a 20L ( also debating making it a double tank stand (stacked not side by side).

i'm a tall guy, 6'3, so i like to have a taller stand for a more comfortable viewing experience. my concern is that 20Ls are not very deep, and if i go very tall it could become rather unstable. i would love to have the single tank stand over 36inches but i'm worried about wobble and tipping. is there a formula somewhere that will help me?

if i decide to go with the double tank stand i realize i can build a taller stand because of the extra weight lower on the stand, but it still gives me a little pause.

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your concerned you can always attach the stand to the wall... Or depending on your building skills, you could build the stand with a wider base than the top for increased... Kind of like a saw horse with tapered legs, or a flat back with a slopped front

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just finished this yesterday. 20 long on top 15 gallon will go in middle and bottom will have a 10" cube. There is only 4" room on top of the 15 gallon (had to notch it for arm clearence) bc im gonna do a walstad with it. The bottom will have 5" of room above the cube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1439938233120.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	507809  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
If your concerned you can always attach the stand to the wall... Or depending on your building skills, you could build the stand with a wider base than the top for increased... Kind of like a saw horse with tapered legs, or a flat back with a slopped front
i'm not a big fan of putting holes in my walls. especially right now because i just bought my house and don't have everything in it i know i will be moving things around.

i thought about build a stand like you are taking about, but this will really be my first actual build project and i'm not how much i want to take on. i did think about just making the stand with an extra inch or so all around the tank. but i'm not sure that is the route i want to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefyfish View Post
I just finished this yesterday. 20 long on top 15 gallon will go in middle and bottom will have a 10" cube. There is only 4" room on top of the 15 gallon (had to notch it for arm clearence) bc im gonna do a walstad with it. The bottom will have 5" of room above the cube.
that looks awesome! but that looks like something you used more than just a circular saw on, which just so happens to be the only saw i own right now.

Will

on Facebook.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe you can build it as a double tank stand, but you don't have to put a second tank in the lower part of it yet (or ever), and they just make removable shelves for the lower area where the second tank would occupy and just stuff it with random things to organize things or to store clutter from around the house just to weigh it down so it's not as top heavy/unstable. Or just out some full 5 gallon buckets on the bottom shelf just to weigh it down a bit. You could always make covers/doors so you don't see the stuff under the tank for the time being. You could do the same (weighing it down and covering the bottom portion) on a single tank stand if for some reason you wanted that (looks cleaner?)

Multi-functional double tank/storage stand/cabinet thingamajig
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post

that looks awesome! but that looks like something you used more than just a circular saw on, which just so happens to be the only saw i own right now.
You actually could build it with a circ saw, a back saw and a miter box. (basic hand tools)

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

I used a jig saw, t square, chop saw, clamps, all hand nailed and glued. I also used a router to trim the 1/4" plywood so it was super nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1440014507355.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	508057  

Name:	image_1440014563791.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	508065  

Name:	image_1440014639858.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	508073  

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

All structure was glued and screwed for strength. No way it will break.

Last edited by Beefyfish; 08-19-2015 at 08:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefyfish View Post
All structure was glued and screwed for strength. No way it will break.
Beautiful work!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

that's a really beautiful stand. excellent craftsmanship.

To the OP: I'm also 6'3" and recently made a 1 meter tall stand (about 39 inches) but for a 50 gallon tank. I think that, as long as you have really good and sturdy lateral stability it should be absolutely fine, especially if you are placing it against a wall. I used two 2X4s for each leg with lateral supports at the top, middle and bottom.

I'm not an experienced woodworker by any means so I'm sure others here can provide even better advice and suggestions.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You actually could build it with a circ saw, a back saw and a miter box. (basic hand tools)
i think i could :-)

is there any sort of rule of thumb for height of stand and size of tank?

Will

on Facebook.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

I just built it as low as possible to house canister filters and tanks. I like to know it wont fall over. Granted an extra couple inches whould have been nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode