Is glass really that expensive? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is glass really that expensive?

So just for fun I got a couple glass stores in town to quote the 5 pieces of 6mm glass it would take to make a 60P clone.

$150 for standard glass!!! (another $50 for low iron). + tax.

Doesn't that sound a little ridiculous? I've read DIY threads where guys talk about paying more like $30 for the same size/thickness I was looking at...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wow, that sounds ridiculously expensive. I was asking my husband about this and he said it likely has to do with your location where there isn't a market for it. So the prices are jacked up in order to make money from the few/infrequent sales. Good luck with the hunt for a 60P clone. Btw, I am really happy with my DoAqua cube and ADA Mini M. There's just no comparison for looks in my opinion. I looked on line at the Aquatop versions (highly rated by some forum members) available through the U.S. but the shipping is ridiculous. You could get two ADA tanks for the price of one Aquatop shipped.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are many qualities/grades in the glass, ADA glass maybe quite different than the one you find at the local store.

Same for the silicon, and the process, which is used to attach the glass together.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
There are many qualities/grades in the glass, ADA glass maybe quite different than the one you find at the local store.

Same for the silicon, and the process, which is used to attach the glass together.

Michel.
But that's exactly my point: a 60P, which is top shelf product, is about $135cnd. The local glass stores quoted much more than that to just supply the glass (never mind silicone and assembly).

I'm not questioning the cost of aquariums in general, I'm questioning the prices given me by the local glass stores.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes that's crazy how much they ask for, unless they have a special glass, Starglass or something like that?

Plants and algae grower.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Yes that's crazy how much they ask for, unless they have a special glass, Starglass or something like that?
Regular glass was going to be $150 + tax (remember this is supply only). StarPhire would be $200 (and like 4 weeks wait). I would say I'm being hosed except two stores gave me very similar pricing.

Just part of the curse it is to be an aquarium enthusiast in the Atlantic Canada...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Just part of the curse it is to be an aquarium enthusiast in the Atlantic Canada...
Not just only Atlantic Canada, Quebec province too

However there is a place 1 hour and half from here where they have ADA tanks, so it depends but as for lighting, it is quite cheaper in USA, Amazon.ca, one example, they do not have much and sometimes double the price compared to Amazon.com.

CO2 if i want cheap i must go to Montreal, 2 hours and a half from my city, Quebec.

Ah! I am just venting.

Michel

Plants and algae grower.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Location, location, location!
Some days I briefly wonder (2 seconds) whether I should move to Vancouver where the good stores are. Then sanity takes over.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode