Frame repair - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frame repair

A little background...
The tank: 72 gallon bowfront
My first mistake: buying an aquarium off of craigslist without inspecting it first.
second: living on a second floor condo

So I filled the aquarium up and there was a slow leak. No problem really, just annoying. I resiliconed the bottom and sides just to be safe. No leak. Filled the aquarium all the way to the top and a slow cracking noise started. I panicked, thinking I would have 72 gallons of water in my bedroom and downstairs neighbor's condo. Then a loud POP. The center brace was slowly cracking and finally broke. So I made a makeshift brace and emptied the tank completely. So there it sat for months in my room; broken. I finally found a LFS that would order me a replacement frame. The broken frame was A LOT harder to remove than expected so I got impatient and forceful (third mistake). I ended up chipping the rim a little bit (see pic). So when installing the new frame, I added A LOT of extra silicone on that chip and I also siliconed the inside of the frame. My question: Do you all think it's okay or do you think the chip will form into a crack and my aquarium will explode at 3 AM, causing lots of damage to my condo and the one below?

Thanks for any advice and input! I'm ready to get this thing set up and start growing some damn plants!!! (and eventually get a pair of German Blue Rams)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9...ew?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like its time to call it a lose otherwise make sure you have good insurance. I take chances all the time but that I wouldn't do.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where did you find replacement frame for thst tank I have same tank but haven't been able to find frame for it
I looked st pic of your tank I see chip in glass I don't see it becoming a big issue once new frame is put on it kooks as if it should be covered by new frame if it is below rim of new frame then I'd have concerns

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Chips like that only run when they are flexed beyond a certain point. The trim with centerbrace are supposed to stop the flexing / bowing from happening to a great degree.

What scares me most here is the way the original trim popped like that.

Center braces most commonly fail in SW tanks that have had Metal Halides suspended over it for extended periods of time. The MH light / SW spray combination was deadly in the initial stages of the SW craze. The trim just wasn't designed to stand up to that and tons failed.

So my hope here is that the old trim simply reached the end of the road and snapped like that rather than simple stress from the tank walls being under pressure from being filled.

Yeah, used tanks have a history and when you don't know that history it can lead to a nail-biter of an experience.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
There's a website out there I've seen referred to a bunch of times.

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/

They have a retail pricing area on the site, but I've never used them. Also, I don't recall seeing top trim for bows but it never hurts to ask.

If this is a Marineland bow, any store that sells Marineland tanks should be able to get one, but I can see that taking a while.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperrrr View Post
A little background...
The tank: 72 gallon bowfront
My first mistake: buying an aquarium off of craigslist without inspecting it first.
second: living on a second floor condo

So I filled the aquarium up and there was a slow leak. No problem really, just annoying. I resiliconed the bottom and sides just to be safe. No leak. Filled the aquarium all the way to the top and a slow cracking noise started. I panicked, thinking I would have 72 gallons of water in my bedroom and downstairs neighbor's condo. Then a loud POP. The center brace was slowly cracking and finally broke. So I made a makeshift brace and emptied the tank completely. So there it sat for months in my room; broken. I finally found a LFS that would order me a replacement frame. The broken frame was A LOT harder to remove than expected so I got impatient and forceful (third mistake). I ended up chipping the rim a little bit (see pic). So when installing the new frame, I added A LOT of extra silicone on that chip and I also siliconed the inside of the frame. My question: Do you all think it's okay or do you think the chip will form into a crack and my aquarium will explode at 3 AM, causing lots of damage to my condo and the one below?

Thanks for any advice and input! I'm ready to get this thing set up and start growing some damn plants!!! (and eventually get a pair of German Blue Rams)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9...ew?usp=sharing
Sounds like a scary proposition! But i dont think that little chip is much to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a ton of tanks out there with that same problem going unnoticed as its under the trim!

From that picture though, the glass looks really thin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
There's a website out there I've seen referred to a bunch of times.

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/

They have a retail pricing area on the site, but I've never used them. Also, I don't recall seeing top trim for bows but it never hurts to ask.
I used that site for a 55 gallon frame and they reference "custom sizes" so its possibly the could do a bowfront. The frame was great; but the lip that extends out from the frame (not the "u" channel that actually fits over the glass but the lip that is perpendicular to the glass ) was a little bigger than the stock frames so I had to modify it a bit to allow a HOB to actually fit over it.

I too had the same experience as the OP in that removing the stock frame was a LOT harder than I expected it to be. I initially had no intention of replacing the frame but was looking to remove it while resealing a tank. I destroyed the frame in the process and then was forced to replace it!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Where did you find replacement frame for thst tank I have same tank but haven't been able to find frame for it
I looked st pic of your tank I see chip in glass I don't see it becoming a big issue once new frame is put on it kooks as if it should be covered by new frame if it is below rim of new frame then I'd have concerns
I literally called every single local pet store within a 25 mile radius from my house. After about 7 annoying 'no's' I finally found one 30 minutes away that ordered one for me. After a 4 week shipping time and $54, I had my frame. good luck!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Chips like that only run when they are flexed beyond a certain point. The trim with centerbrace are supposed to stop the flexing / bowing from happening to a great degree.

What scares me most here is the way the original trim popped like that.

Center braces most commonly fail in SW tanks that have had Metal Halides suspended over it for extended periods of time. The MH light / SW spray combination was deadly in the initial stages of the SW craze. The trim just wasn't designed to stand up to that and tons failed.

So my hope here is that the old trim simply reached the end of the road and snapped like that rather than simple stress from the tank walls being under pressure from being filled.

Yeah, used tanks have a history and when you don't know that history it can lead to a nail-biter of an experience.
Well, after it snapped I noticed that it had been broken before and very poorly repaired. Someone could have used the center brace as an arm brace when changing water, transporting, or cleaning it. That's the only thing I could come up with. Thanks for the reply!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post

From that picture though, the glass looks really thin?
Must be the angle, the glass is of normal width. lol.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It has been about 80% full of water for a week and a half and I'm gaining confidence in filling it all the way. I have back up buckets, towels, siphoning hoses, and a roommate who can help if it were to crack, or leak in any way. I just hope that I'm home when/if it happens!! In the pic you can kind of see the line where the bottom of the trim is going to be, so I honestly don't think it will be a problem. I'm just one of those people who always think worst case scenario. /:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
u could always fill it up half way and do a riparium setup
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
u could always fill it up half way and do a riparium setup
Thought about it!!! I just love the way a fully planted tank looks...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update: the tank is full and running. Plants on order for this week. No cracks, explosion, or leaks just yet. Hopefully it will stay that way! (:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Phillips pet supply located in NY has those frames in stock. They're a pet store supplier, but they just recently started stocking those frames again. Maybe you could call them or find someone who uses them. My company just got 2 in at a Richmond, Va store from that supplier. Good luck.

And original OP, I wouldn't worry about the chip, as long as it doesn't actually have a crack or fissure in it that can 'spyder' out, you should be just fine. That frame support in the middle is the most common fail on those tanks, but they last a good 10+ years. The new frames are made out of better quality plastic I'm almost positive. Congrats on the fix and good luck.

-=:Sketch804:=-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval pimp #31

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode