Sharing: nice bucket spigot attachment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sharing: nice bucket spigot attachment

Just sharing that I found a nice bucket spigot for water changes.

Much easier than trying to carefully pour a five gallon bucket into the tank!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/drum-tap

I got mine off Amazon for a few dollars more but free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
So... how do you get a perfect 1" hole into your bucket?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm more curious how it gets a solid seal with the curved surface of the bucket.

I really like the idea though.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
I'm more curious how it gets a solid seal with the curved surface of the bucket.

I really like the idea though.
Plastic buckets are flexible. You simply tighten it up to get a good seal.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 04:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
How do you lift the bucket above the tank? This device doesn't seem to solve any problem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, I think that might cause a bit more trouble, the spout would slow down the process and maybe even a little harder. Water would come out slower from the spout, taking longer to fill. I guess you could sit the bucket on a corner of the tank for it to drain into the tank, but that seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention, you have to lift the bucket maybe and extra foot higher to set it on the tank, rather than just tipping the edge of the bucket into the tank. No offence, just saying.

You could just do the regular bucket pour into the tank, you can not fill the bucket up to make it a bit lighter and reduce spills, but more back and forth trips.

I just ended up buy a cheaper brand Python water changing kit, that way it's faster cleaning of tanks (no need to siphon into bucket) and filling as well as easier on your back which all makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.
If you really want that bucket spout, I am pretty sure they sell those at Home Depot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I put my bucket on a 4 foot stepladder and syphon into the tank. No mess and no strained muscles.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks for the comments everyone...to address some of the points:

Quote:
So... how do you get a perfect 1" hole into your bucket?
I traced a US quarter and used the tip of a small kitchen knife (couldn't find my xacto) to cut the circle in multiple passes. Then I smoothed out the edges with a bit of sandpaper.

Quote:
I was worried this would be a problem, but apparently home brewers use these on buckets all the time. The spigot has two rubber washers to seal over any rough edges, and the bucket flexes a little as well.

Quote:
How do you lift the bucket above the tank?
Proper body mechanics! Helps that I only need 2 or 3 bucket fills per water change...

Quote:
I guess you could sit the bucket on a corner of the tank for it to drain into the tank, but that seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.
I cut a small piece of plywood to fit on the corner of the tank, and set the bucket on that while it drains unattended. The bucket would have to be pretty far off-center for it to be at any risk of tipping.

Quote:
Water would come out slower from the spout, taking longer to fill.
I asked on Amazon about some other spouts, and people responded saying that it would basically take way too long to drain 5 gallons. Those were "bottling spigots" (filling beer bottles). This one has a larger capacity and, while I haven't timed it, I'd guess that it can easily drain 5 gallons in less than a minute.

If I open it full-bore and aim straight down, it digs a hole in the gravel through a foot of water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode