Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Western Illinois
How to disassemble a Spec V for repair
I recently received a gift of a used Spec V. As I was drying it off after cleaning, it slipped and I broke one of the long glass panels into multiple pieces. I didn't have success finding info. as to how to disassemble the tank pieces, so thought I would share my experience. I did not have time for pics, but the process is pretty straight forward.
1) Removal of the black plastic tank base is easy. It can be done first or last. I actually did mine last to help protect the rest of the glass.
They are held together by a small dollop of silicone at each corner. If you slide a razor blade on the bottom of the tank between the plastic and glass at each corner, they should separate easily
2) The little black corner pieces have to be removed before the corner silver-gray parts can be removed. I used some dental floss worked up under them to separate the silicone that holds them from the tank. This part was quite easy.
3) Before the glass panels can be separated, the silver-gray pieces must come off. I used the same technique of sliding dental floss between the glass and plastic. About a 1/3 of the way down, the floss kept breaking, so I had my wife gently pull the plastic away from the glass at the top. This gave me enough wiggle room to get all the way down so those pieces would come off.
4) Now, all you have to do is use a razor to cut the silicone between panels. If you have to remove one of the long panels, you will have to cut between the black plastic that helps make up the filtration chamber and the glass panel. The plastic seems reasonably tough, but I would suggest caution so as not to break it.
5) The long panel needs to be 3/16 x 19 4/8 x 10 13/16 inches. The shorter-length sides need to be beveled 45 degrees. This allows the silver-gray corner pieces to fit back on correctly. Reassembly of glass panels can be easily figured out or found on Youtube. The rest is just the above steps in reverse.
I hope this is helpful for someone.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.