Needing to elevate canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Needing to elevate canister filter

So I'm building a new tank stand for my 90 gallon. It's going to be 6" taller than the stand it's currently on. What are some recommended ways to elevate my canister filter to make sure I don't overwork the filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dollar store folding stool. They are about 6-8" and cheap.
Or build a small box so you can store stuff under the filter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Planted Member

Drive around the back of food stores and schools. Look for a plastic milk crate. Plenty of places stack a bunch outside to be picked up. I'm sure they wouldn't miss one lol. Stick a piece of wood or a book on top of it and you'll be golden! They make a good seat when working on your car too!

If you'd like to buy one instead of commandeering one, home depot sells them pretty cheap......ha

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
On the other hand? What makes you feel it is needed?
The theory that one would be able to "overwork" a canister in this way is not one that I worry about.
As the length of the pressure line gets longer, the length of the suction side does also. Your siphon to the filter and back again to the tank remains the same. The motor only needs to boost the water the final couple inches up and over the rim.
I would suggest a check of the manual for the height specs on the particular filter you have and assuming it is not outside those limits, I would go with it.

Meanwhile keep in mind that totally stopping the suction or pressure side tubing does not harm the motor. As long as there is water to lube and cool the impeller there will be no harm.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
On the other hand? What makes you feel it is needed?
The theory that one would be able to "overwork" a canister in this way is not one that I worry about.
As the length of the pressure line gets longer, the length of the suction side does also. Your siphon to the filter and back again to the tank remains the same. The motor only needs to boost the water the final couple inches up and over the rim.
I would suggest a check of the manual for the height specs on the particular filter you have and assuming it is not outside those limits, I would go with it.

Meanwhile keep in mind that totally stopping the suction or pressure side tubing does not harm the motor. As long as there is water to lube and cool the impeller there will be no harm.
This... the only thing that really affects how hard your pump works is internal resistance to flow from the tubing... and a few extra inches will be hardly noticable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can't overwork a canister filter. Even if you totally stop the outlet flow, the filter's pump isn't overworked. That type of pump just stops pumping water as the outlet resistance increases, keeping the work done by the pump from ever being too much.

If you use a canister pump with a really high tank, the static pressure, the pressure inside the filter chamber, goes up, and for a really, really high tank, that could cause the filter chamber seals to leak. The filter wouldn't be harmed, but you would be (by your wife!).

If you put a restriction in the inlet to the filter you can damage the filter pump from the resulting cavitation in the pump. But, that is a lesser problem with a really high tank, since the high static pressure reduces cavitation.

I know this duplicates some of what others have said, but I can't resist an opportunity to give a lecture.

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the replies. It appears my original reply did not post. I looked in the manual and identified that it shouldn't reach a more than 55" above the top of the filter and I am about a foot short of that. And also, thank you for the wealth of knowledge as it's always good to learn more!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Of course if you were running it before, and cut the hoses to suit, now you would need to raise it a bit, or get new hoses. Probably raising it a bit is the easiest option.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Of course if you were running it before, and cut the hoses to suit, now you would need to raise it a bit, or get new hoses. Probably raising it a bit is the easiest option.
Yea I just bought new hoses. Everything is up and running well so far. Flow is low but it's also due for a cleaning this weekend so I'll see if there is any flow difference but I doubt there will be a noticeable difference after all of the reading I've done both here and elsewhere.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just as a quickie trial to see what the stand height does to flow, can you set the filter on something like a chair before you do the cleaning? I tend to believe things I see far more than things I read. If it doesn't take a full blown trauma to try it, that would let you know how it works for you.
I use 2217's on stands as low as 27" and as high as 42" and see little difference in flow if the media used is the same in each. I use the flow to judge when to clean as that does make a big difference when things get packed up or the tubing gets too much gunk in it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you're building your own stand why not just put a little corner shelf in that the filter sits on?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Just as a quickie trial to see what the stand height does to flow, can you set the filter on something like a chair before you do the cleaning? I tend to believe things I see far more than things I read. If it doesn't take a full blown trauma to try it, that would let you know how it works for you.
I use 2217's on stands as low as 27" and as high as 42" and see little difference in flow if the media used is the same in each. I use the flow to judge when to clean as that does make a big difference when things get packed up or the tubing gets too much gunk in it.
I will try and do that for you. The stand is about 6" taller than the last stand and I'm going to try and get the filter cleaned tomorrow so I'll try and find something tall enough but don't want to pinch the tubes too much since I've already put new tubing on there. I'll let you know if it was successful. I'm right there with you on using my flow to predict when the filters need a good cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If you're building your own stand why not just put a little corner shelf in that the filter sits on?
Not a bad idea. I've already got everything up though so it's a little late for that one. I also didn't think about adding shelves until now so I may build those then attach them once they are finished. I've got to build the doors first though then I'll look at adding things later.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flow is back to normal. If any difference was made by this height difference it is not much. I do notice a slight difference in flow but nothing dramatic.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds good! I usually move and change media and such so I have never really seen whether it made a difference or not. Sometimes the theory in my head doesn't work out the same as real life!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode