2nd try at DIY co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
2nd try at DIY co2

So a couple years ago I tried DIY co2 and it did not go all that well. It was inconsistent and that caused an outbreak of BBA and a variety of algae. Then one of the bottles blew it's top making the living room smell like a brewery not to mention being a sticky mess. So needless to say I was a bit skeptical about trying it again but a pressurized setup is not in the budget at the moment so I decided to give it one more try.

This time I followed the method in this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=659290 by burr740 and it has been a much different experience.

I think the biggest difference is in using the AquaClear to disperse the co2. I am using the first method he showed of just putting the air tube in the inlet screen of the filter with a piece of chopstick in the tubing. Not only does this give the gas a long time to dissolve before it gets to the impeller but because the AC flows from the bottom of the media chamber to the top it is a long time after the impeller before it has a chance to escape as well. But here is the part that I believe makes this setup work so well, The outflow of the AC is nearly straight down into the tank so all the gas is pushed down near the floor of the tank before it comes anywhere near the surface to be offgassed to the room. Most other HOB filters have flow across the surface of the water.

The other difference from the first try is that I have nearly no surface agitation yet I am extremely overfiltered. It is a 20 gallon high tank with an AC 50 and a fluval 206. My degassed water has a ph of 8.4 and with gas it is 7.1

It has only been a week but my plants are responding well. My Apons are pearling and the Hygro is growing like crazy. Crypt and Vals are really perking up. In short I couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone here who have inspired me again, especially burr740 for his great write-up and awesome looking tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Im very glad it's going well for you! Keep us posted yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will do. This weekend I am going to do some reading here and figure out what app I need to be able to post and load pics from my phone so I can better document the changes. It should be a pretty dramatic change since I spilled about 2 weeks worth of csm+b the other day. My red Ludwigia took quite a hit but has some new growth so it will recover. Stuff sure is hard on the red plants if you dose too much. I have a fairly high bio-load so I may have enough traces from food anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode