Rex Grigg style, Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rex Grigg style, Questions

I am planning on building a Rex Grigg style Co2 reactor and had a few questions
The Tank & sump are approx. 210 gallons with my return pump at 600gph.
I have room for a 30 reactor, is 4 big enough or would I need 6.

Complicated option
I was thinking of using the suction side of my return pump as the injection site for the Co2, the impeller would chop the bubbles up, and then go into the reactor.

Would vent tubing at the top of the reactor be beneficial, I was thinking I could run airline tubing from the vent to the suction side of my return pump also. That way any Co2 that might collect at the top of the reactor would be recycled through the pump.

Simpler option
Inject the Co2 into the top of the reactor.

Any feedback would be great
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

I'm running about an 80 gallon system including tank & sump. My Grigg reactor is a 4"x20" on a separate pump circuit from/back into the sump. The reactor pump is doing about 150GPH after head loss. My main pump is about 500GPH after head loss. I tend to think you're going to want 5-6x turnover out of your main return pump. Place it to ripple the surface well -- it's important to keep up your O2 levels in the presence of CO2 at the level you need.

I tried injecting the gas into the intake of the pump, worked OK, but I had problems keeping the line in place there. I wound up building a standpipe onto the pump outflow & drilling the CO2 line into it, just after the pump.

I think a 4"x30" would be adequate for your system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have an airstone on the end of my CO2 line, that goes into my sump pump's intake.

the airstone being there does affect water flow, considerably, but it breaks the co2 apart to a degree that it's worth it.

I don't think you could go wrong adding vent tubing. I didn't, as it's just another thing that can go wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I have an airstone on the end of my CO2 line, that goes into my sump pump's intake.

the airstone being there does affect water flow, considerably, but it breaks the co2 apart to a degree that it's worth it.

I don't think you could go wrong adding vent tubing. I didn't, as it's just another thing that can go wrong.
Just to make sure I understand, you do not run a reactor , just a air stone in your pump intake, Do you get any micro bubbles in your tank from your return.

Any noise issues with running the Co2 into the pump intakes from cavitation?
What the maintenance on the air stone running Co2?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do have a reactor, sorry.

And I still get microbubbles, which blows.

As for the air stone, I leave it alone. I should be keeping a better eye on it, as the last time I replaced it was because it fell apart in my hand.

Not noticing any strange noises from the pump though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

How many gph are you pushing and what size is your reactor,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

my reactor is a 20"x4" home filtration canister, so a cerges style reactor. I've played with rex griggs style, and it only made things more complicated. I even tried something like this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=494457 that ended up just being ridiculous and not working any better than a smaller unit.

My pump is a fluval SP4, rated at 1822 gph. But with the 4 outlets on my return, the flow is reduced considerably on exit.

Personally, I think I'd be better served putting the reactor on a separate loop; but I appreciate the lack of complexity with my current system.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:

I'll have to analyze this sentence after coffee!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

I have a 20" Clear filter housing on its way,Cerges' Reactor it is,
from my reading and watching YouTube, different people have plumbed them differently...... more research

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode