Tank resealing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Tank resealing

I discovered about a 1/4 of the water in my aquarium gone one day. I marked the water line with tape, refilled and came back a few hours later to a puddle on the floor and the water had returned to the line on the tape.

The tank is about 6-9 months old and shouldn't be leaking. I've got to figure out what to do next. Here are my options.

-Break down the entire tank and scrap the last 6 months of progress to replace the tank or try to get it covered under warranty....

-Remove a few more inches of water, cut out as much silicon as possible and try to reseal the tank myself? I've yet to identify which joint is leaking but I'm nearly certain it's one of the back two. It should be pretty easy to identify if I fill it with water and watch it.

Has anyone ever resealed a partially filled tank? Is there a chance that if I cut out all of the silicone from the top half of one of the corners that the whole tank will fall apart?
I really don't want to tear down this tank but I don't want a half filled tank falling apart on me either! haha

My stand is slightly off level for this tank and I did use a shim... Could this be the cause or is it a faulty aquarium from the start?

Don't get caught with your plants down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the tank is twisting a little it leak, drain it down as far as possible and shim it perfectly flat and level.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tough one.

Looks like a 10G?

Does the leak stop when it reaches a point? That may help locate the leak, but it may also simply be a leak that's sensitive to a certain water pressure and will stop when enough leaks out, even if it's still submerged (not the likely case).

If it's a 10G, I wouldn't re-seal it. The cost of silicone will be about equal to the cost of the tank.

You can't re-seal when partially full. Humidity is a big issue for silicone to adhere and to cure properly.

The stand being out of level is very different from the tank not being supported evenly across the bottom trim. About every tank will be at least slightly out of level; if not immediately then over time.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If it is still under warranty the get it replaced.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a small 8 dollar tube of silicone and resealed my 10g that was leaking in the same location...about a 1.5" down. I scraped out all the old sealant and reapplied the new.

It was worth it to now know HOW to do it, and that it IS easy to do.

I am almost positive it resulted from twisting and now I use foam under all my tanks to protect them from uneven surfaces that may cause twisting.

It took about 30 minutes of scraping with a sharp razor, but went faster as I got better at peeling the silicone off.

Last edited by Mikhail; 06-20-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow, you are not having good luck these days are you!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ichy, been a bad week or two for me! haha I sent you a message about the electrical soldering though.

I'll be trying to reseal the tank soon and i'll post some pictures regardless if it's a win, loss or draw.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

In order to figure out which corner was leaking and had to be resealed, I filled the tank back up. I waited for an hour and it didn't leak, left it for the rest of the day and it still didn't leak. It's been a week now and the only water gone is due to evaporation.

Somehow it has resealed itself. Doesn't make any sense.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is it possible this was actually a leaking/cracked filter?

I had a canister develop a hairline crack out of the blue and drained 50 gallons out of a 180G. I thought a power failure had something to do with it. All looked good after restart and a few hours later noticed an ever so slow drip half way down the canister body.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The filter is a HOB that is less then a year old. It's a cheap one but isn't under any sort of pressure. If somehow it was leaking, it has stopped now which makes about as much sense as a tank resealing itself.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode