So here's my go at an ADA style DIY cabinet for my new Mr. Aqua 22 gallon tank.
1ea - sheet 3/4" (23/32") BC plywood
1ea - 1"x4" Furring Strip Board (a straight one)
1ea - 4' x 10" scrap 1/2" plywood
Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System
1 box 1-1/4" coarse Kreg screws
Kreg face clamp
2 Irwin Quick-Grip clamps
I decided to make a jig for my circular saw so that I could cut straight lines with minimal effort.
Cut furring strip in half, half for the saw jig, other half for the cabinet middle stile.
I ripped the rounded edges off the furring strip with my table saw, took off about 1/4" on each side
Making of the jig.
The idea of the jig is that you mount the strip to the scrap plywood and then make a cut which will give you a nice straight edge that can be used to make straight cuts.
First plywood cut setup.
First cut, nice and straight.
All pieces cut.
Since I wanted top and bottom to be truly 12"x36", the sides and the back dimensions had to be modified slightly to accommodate for how the boards will line up together. The back had to have 2 widths of the plywood taken from each side, making it approximately 34-1/2"x28-1/2" instead of 36"x30", and the sides needed 2 widths taken from the 30" side, making their final measurements approximately 12"x28-1/2". I did it this way on purpose, having made many a project only to have ended up cutting a board too short. I'd rather cut something twice than to buy another sheet of $40 plywood. And plus, my board stretcher is in the shop.
Pocket hole time. All the pocket holes will end up on the inside of the cabinet. I originally wanted to use the Kreg plugs in the holes but this just ended up being too much of a pain to deal with. Once the cabinet is painted and the doors on they will not be noticeable at all.
Now we're getting somewhere!
Middle stile added.
Front face plate added.
Nice first weekend of work, mounting doors and paint come next.