Electrical Solder for Sat. Freshwater plus LED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Electrical Solder for Sat. Freshwater plus LED

One of my Satellite Freshwater + LED stopped working. It went black and would flash red every minute or so. I decided to take it all apart. There isn't much to take apart on them and all of the connections are coated in a rubber goop. I took a utility knife to the rubber and exposed all of the electrical connections to find them all intact except for one power supply that I damaged in the process.
At this point I plugged in the unit and heard a ticking from the 12vAC adapter and switched power supplies. I swapped it out with a new power supply and it worked just fine.

My problem now is that it is only getting half of the power because one of the electrical soldered joints came apart when I cut off the rubber that encased it.

Is there somewhere I can go that will do a quick electrical soldered joint or do I have to buy the equipment and do it my self?

Here are a few pictures of what the unit looks like when taken apart.

Don't get caught with your plants down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sure whats out your way, but most any electronics repair place should be able to do it... then again soldering isnt terribly hard, but as with most things it takes a bit of practice and having someone help goes a long way too...

Either way you'll need to remove more of the potting compound and expose the solder joints better before you go down either path

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use rosin core solder, get the thin stuff and get a lead based one if you can. The other ones without lead need more heat to melt and more heat you risk damaging the board.

Use a 7 watt iron to limit the heat.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
is there such a thing as electronic repair places?
you are probably going to have to DIY it.
looks pretty easy, get a cheapo soldering iron and some solder, clean it up, solder the wire in place, hot glue to repot it. As long as you dont bridge between the two solder contacts and the wire sticks,you are good to go.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Go through your list of contacts and think back to each and I guarantee you will find someone who is handy and electronically minded who could do this for you. It's not hard -- but I would not suggest making it your first attempt at soldering.

While I'm sure there are lots of young who do it, you might have better luck with someone born in the 40's or 50's or maybe 60's as they lived through the age where soldering was a lot more common in hobbies. If they know what "Heathkit" means you are in the right ballpark.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Go through your list of contacts and think back to each and I guarantee you will find someone who is handy and electronically minded who could do this for you. It's not hard -- but I would not suggest making it your first attempt at soldering.

While I'm sure there are lots of young who do it, you might have better luck with someone born in the 40's or 50's or maybe 60's as they lived through the age where soldering was a lot more common in hobbies. If they know what "Heathkit" means you are in the right ballpark.
Heathkit.....man did you just date yourself! LOL
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not thought of one of those in a long time actually stopped to think back for me was 30 years ago

Bump: has to be a tv repair or a geek space or hacker space club some thing with in 50 miles I bet even closer unless he is under a rock

Bump: some of are better high schools have there version of battle bots where I live half the adult population is corn farmers the other half grow pot in the corn fields lol..lol
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Any appliance repair place should have someone who can solder. You've got a 10 second job, basically, it just needs a proper soldering iron to make it happen. From the look of the thing, you could probably do it yourself with a cheapo iron, but if the solder melts at a higher temperature than the iron will reach (a common problem with cheapo irons and modern solder) then you're out of luck.

Do you know any "maker" types? Someone who likes to build stuff and program junk? Talks about Arduino and Raspberry Pi maybe? They've got a decent soldering iron...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Had the exact same scenario happen with my sat+ and I pulled it apart just like you have. You're lucky that yours was just the power supply. My rgb bulbs had all burned out probably from the shotty power units they were sending out with these early on. Ended up having to wire it just for whites without a remote since the sensor was shot as well. You can get a cheap soldering gun online and it'll take you 5 minutes to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There's still electronic repair guys around. We have 1 in our town of 28,000. Another 10 miles down the road in the next little town. If you can't find anyone else look for a guitar repair or guitar amp repair guy. Most Guitar Center type stores have them, but there's lots of small independent guys around. I see lots of ads for guys doing repairs on Craigslist under 'Musicians" or "Musical Equipment".

I

Bump: There's still electronic repair guys around. We have 1 in our town of 28,000. Another 10 miles down the road in the next little town. If you can't find anyone else look for a guitar repair or guitar amp repair guy. Most Guitar Center type stores have them, but there's lots of small independent guys around. I see lots of ads for guys doing repairs on Craigslist under 'Musicians" or "Musical Equipment".

I
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know it's a quick and easy fix... maybe 2 minutes. Being a plumber, I solder copper pipes every day but don't think I'm comfortable with my first electrical solder being on this.
I agree that there are plenty of people who can do this but I have no idea where to start looking. Should I google up a computer repair shop? I live just outside of St.Paul/Minneapolis so it shouldn't be too tough. I think i'll start by going through my phone and text a few buddies who like to tinker with stuff and see where that leads me.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
I know it's a quick and easy fix... maybe 2 minutes. Being a plumber, I solder copper pipes every day but don't think I'm comfortable with my first electrical solder being on this.
Do you have any HVAC friends who might be into this kind of thing? I know that most of what they do is crimp connections and the like, but who knows?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Whoa you are in the Mpls/St.paul area??? Hell bring it on by and I'll do it for you! Sorry I didn't see it sooner!

PM me.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you solder pipes, wire is no different... just a smaller heat source, tin the end of the wire, place on top of joint, apply heatuntil the solder flows, remove heat...

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Found a great little electronic repair shop nearby. The guy was kind enough to solder the broken wire for free... Going to bring some cash/pack of beverage next time i'm in the area.

Moral of story - Sat freshwater+ LED stops working -> Replace the AC adapter for under $5 from the auction site.
Tearing them apart is a hassle and won't accomplish much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode