DIY container pond filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY container pond filter

I am building a small container pond. I have everything except a filter or something to move the water. I want to make a homemade one for it so that I can overwinter the fish. Does anyone know how to make a DIY small pond filter? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you're only concerned about biological filtration, you can accomplish that fairly easily by putting a bunch of bioballs or similar media in a sealed container (a large plastic jar, perhaps) and pumping water through it with a fountain pump. You can buy a filter box built for this purpose (with a coarse foam filter) at Lowe's for ~$30. You could also look at that design and build your own for $10-20, less if you've already got the filter foam.

Where do you plan on overwintering the fish? If it's in the container, outdoors, you're likely to have issues with the entire thing freezing solid. In the ground it won't freeze too thick even in very cold weather, but containers freeze from all sides instead of just the top. You do have to consider gas exchange though - the fish can die if there is no way for CO2 to get out and O2 to get in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode