Glass for DIY tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass for DIY tank

I am planning to start a new tank but the dimensions are very custom and I plan to build it myself. I intend to make a longish tank - 60x14x14 inches or something like that, and I am wondering where you DIY tank builders buy the glass. I am not looking for very high quality, iron free glass, etc. Just the usual plate glass. I am planning on going with 1/4 inch thick glass with may be a couple or so of top cross braces near the middle.

I have made many large tanks myself but it was many years ago in India and I have never built one here in the U.S and need your inputs mainly on sourcing and things like do you get it cut or do you cut it yourself? Do you get the edges polished or just smooth grind it yourself, etc.?

Cheers,
Hari

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
1/4" glass should work well here. Depending on your surroundings, it's entirely possible you can get a local glass shop to cut it for you. It would be unusual for a person to cut glass that thick at home. I have no idea about getting edges ground or not, though I know that you can order glass cut to size and polished as you like online on a whole bunch of websites.

From the builds I've seen, most of the glass work is done by professionals and it is the assembly that the DIYer does.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cutting 1/4" is not hard at all.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can't wait to see it. Love the width.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Captain

I recently built a 24" long, 21" tall, 18" deep tank using 1/4" glass. Where I live there are several contractors that install custom made windows for commercial clients. They have the ability to order whatever size pieces of glass are needed for a particular project.

I would guess if you look for larger window installers in your area, you will likely find someone who will provide you with the necessary glass panels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode