DIY Co2 for 4 gal tank - how to make it last longer and fewer bubbles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 for 4 gal tank - how to make it last longer and fewer bubbles

I want to grow a carpet of some sort(DHG or HC) in a 4 gallon tank.

What recipe should I use in order to make it last longer ,at a lower pressure?

CO2 canister is 1 liter ,do I put 4 times as much sugar than yeast?

As for lights ,would a 15 or 10w do? That'll be like 3-4wpg.Can I get away with less for carpet plants?

I have a Co2 flipper to diffuse it.Had it on my 10g about 2 years ago ,but turned that one low-tech.

Tap water KH is 10 ,GH is around 19 ,very hard water.Ph stays around 7.9 in my tanks

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Less sugar makes less alcohol which in turn lasts longer because it is the alcohol that kills the yeast and stops production of co2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Less sugar makes less alcohol which in turn lasts longer because it is the alcohol that kills the yeast and stops production of co2
but less sugar would also mean higher pressure?
I thought that yeast fed on sugar so that s why I thought a higher sugar ratio.

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The more sugar the faster the alcohol level rises and kills the yeast you can try beer brewers yeast as it's a little higher tolerate to alcohol levels might last u a day or 2 longer but that's about it , can't answer you on what produces more pressure as I don't know
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With a 4 gallon tank you will need to size down your bottles or you will push too much gas. The key to this setup is consistency or you will get algae growth and BBA, (ask me how I know). The only way to be consistent is to have more than one bottle and to change one every other week so they are always producing roughly the same flow. I am thinking you want 2 10 or 12 ounce bottles or you will have far too much gas, (might anyway).

When you let the bottles run to the point that they slow down bad things happen to your tank so running a few more days is not always a good idea. I have had the best results going no more than 14 days. The reaction is just starting to slow down. I have no idea if it is just the reduction of co2 or if there are more contaminants being pushed into the tank,(alcohol and such), but it can create quite a problem that goes away with a stable system and earlier changes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Use less yeast for lower production and longer life. More yeast generally equals a higher rate of production, but for a shorter period of time because the alcohol builds up faster. Sugar is really irrelevant, as long it doesnt all get used up. It's just there to feed the yeast. While having too little can shorten longevity, adding more or less wont change anything as far as production rates go. With most common recipes the yeast will die from alcohol poisoning before sugar become a factor.

You're going to have to experiment some to get the right amount of production relative to longevity. I would start out with maybe 1.5 cups of sugar, and no more than 1/4 tsp of yeast, possibly less.

I would also think about using a 2 liter bottle instead of a 1 liter. Alcohol concentration will take longer to reach toxic levels with more water, which equals more longevity.

As keymastr said, you never want to allow production to slow down. Add a bubble counter bottle so you can keep a close eye on the rate of production (via bubbles per second/ten seconds, etc). As soon as you see a decline, it's time to make a new batch - and that is how long you can consider the current recipe "lasting." It's not about how long it will run, its how long it will run steady before starting to slow down.

Something like 1 bubble every 2 seconds would probably be a good target rate to shoot for in the beginning. Obviously a lot depends on diffusion efficiency, but I would think 1 bps would be too much for a 4 gal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 05-28-2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode