co2 systems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 systems

I'm looking to add co2 to my tank. I see a lot of yeast based ones and others. I could use any info you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use a canister filter with CO2 DIY reactor after the filter and then into the tank.
IMO an efficient reactor is key here.
I can achieve 60ppm CO2 with 1 3lt. bottle of DIY CO2.
I now use 2 3 liter bottles but not as aggressive of a batch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i will post details about my co2 set up when i get home but i am running 2 1L bottles on a glass diffuser pretty good, [IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, 33g retired

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I should add it is a 55 gallon tank.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so here is what i have 2(1L bottles with check valves under caps){could run more bottles as needed} running into a bubble counter( mainly for gas exchange incase of yeast water gets into the line,) check valve from bubble counter to reactor or in my case glass diffuser, mix 1cup sugar to warm water and add 1/2tsp yeast, swirl mixture up and let it sit 5mins, attach to co2 setup and your are good to go, also i change 1 bottle every week,(if you have 4 bottles change 2 every week) also seal all tubing running into caps as they can be a leaking point, also this has been on a 40B for over 5 months and doing well,

, 33g retired

Last edited by rebelbuck1993; 05-20-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: .
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here is a good thread on yeast DIY Co2. If your system leaks you can get caps with tubes on feebay cheap. The more bottles you have the more consistent the Co2 is
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The feebay caps are a good idea. There is a second solution, not yeast, that works just as well if I recall correctly but without so much smell. Maybe give that a shot.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
The feebay caps are a good idea. There is a second solution, not yeast, that works just as well if I recall correctly but without so much smell. Maybe give that a shot.
feebay? not sure what that is but the other option is citric acid and baking soda also you must have it precise or it will explode, also the acid is hard to come by, which is why most do yeast,

, 33g retired
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Keep the info coming. I did a little reading on the acid/baking soda method. Nothing to in depth and no pictures. So I wasn't grasping the way the two fluids mix from separate bottles.

I absolutely love the wine making co2 system. I brew my own beer and was wondering if I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Now I just need to figure out how to brew in 1 gallon batches.

Last edited by Tieg; 05-21-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: adding
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuck1993 View Post
not sure what that is but the other option is citric acid and baking soda also you must have it precise or it will explode, also the acid is hard to come by, which is why most do yeast,
Not worth the cost doing the citric acid Co2 system. I finding paintball co2 system just $20 more. Here is a thread on the citric acid Co2 system.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

I did the yeast system for years then moved on to the Citric acid & Baking soda system and now I have almost finished setting up my paintball setup.

The CA / BS system is pretty ok and will last you around 15 to 18 days on one charge. It is not dangerous at all if you mix it in the correct amount. Citric acid is very easy to find and not very expensive but in the long run the paintball system is cheaper.

Here is a thread I just started on my setup -

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=868185

I will be using this in my main planted tank and will still use my CA/BS system in my smaller 10 gallon. Its less messier than yeast and the bubble rate is controllable unlike yeast.

Cheers,
Hari

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieg View Post
Keep the info coming. I did a little reading on the acid/baking soda method. Nothing to in depth and no pictures. So I wasn't grasping the way the two fluids mix from separate bottles.

I absolutely love the wine making co2 system. I brew my own beer and was wondering if I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Now I just need to figure out how to brew in 1 gallon batches.
Here are my experiences with the citric acid system.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=815241
I like it for what it is. Better than yeast but not as good as a full on pressure system.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Citric acid and baking soda was what I was referencing. And Hilde coined the feebay term, it will pop soon enough!

I think DIY works for small tanks. But pressurized systems can be had for pretty cheap if you start reading into what it takes; <$200 if you shop around. That is a lot if you are talking about a $10 tank or something really small.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Citric acid and baking soda was what I was referencing. And Hilde coined the feebay term, it will pop soon enough!
It works fine but needs fidleing to get it to last long enough to make it worth using long term.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieg View Post
I should add it is a 55 gallon tank.
55 gallon tank? I would go pressurized and skip the DIY.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode