DIY stand question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY stand question

So I want to build a stand for my tank using some 4x4 and ply.

One thing I would LOVE to do is make it rollable.

Im one of those weirdos that is always messing with things and I do occasioanlly move my 30 from the wall which Im strong enough to do when in the middle of a PWC but a 55 NO WAY.

Im wondering if anyone has done this with a tank this large? My stand will be REALLY low (prob max at 14 to 16" high) so wobble isnt an issue per say but Im afraid of the casters themselves just caving.
I thought of maybe using blocks under it when its in place in case of an emergency.
I did find some really heavy duty rollers but man they are HUGE! I could probably frame inside the frame to mount/hide them but still.
My other thought was maybe those furniture sliders under the feet as well.

http://www.amazon.com/2-Inch-Bottom-Round-Furniture-Sliders/dp/B000VYJ99I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1431529638&sr=8-5&keywords=furniture+slider
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sliders is a bad idea. You ever slide a 5 gallon bucket with your foot? The static friction is pretty high. By the time it is moving, it gains enough momentum to keep moving. You get a lot of splashing. I don't like the sliders.

For wheels, I'd say you would most definitely want to build them inside of the stand and leave enough room for them to rotate. You also need wheels that can support the weight. Water is roughly 8 lb a gallon, so you are looking at 450 lbs+.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAI...m_vc=FFTC&pbi=

Those are nearly 200 lb rollers, each(4" wheel, 5" total height). So if you place them in the corners you can easily support a 55 gallon aquarium. You could support a 90 gallon most likely, but that would be close if you have any hardscape that weighs more than water. So a 55 comfortably.

As for the design, there are plenty of moveable island plans available online. The ones used in kitchens would be quite similar most likely.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
And you need pretty BIG wheels if there is any kind of rough surface. I move around 45G garbage cans on a dolly I built. My first one was a $20 Harbor Freight special - it carried the weight, but the wheels were small -- every seam in the tile, and definitely going up on carpet, risked turning the can over as it would catch and stick. The cheap wheels also badly marked up the tile floor.

I bought some big (I think 4.5") no-mark wheels and built my own, and it is SO Much better, it can easily step over carpet and thresholds.

Wheels may sound like a good idea, but don't do it on the cheap -- you really need big, strong wheels or even if they work, they will still be a pain. They aren't terribly expensive, but they do need to be pretty large if you really plan to roll it full.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'll second the super duty casters. If you are looking to just move it out from the wall you could use simple wheel rollers and not the casters. That would allow you to pull it from the wall to clean but it would be difficult to turn. Think of refrigerators.

I would most definitely NOT use 4 x 4s for this project. Some 2 x 6s maybe with correct joinery. You'll be looking at lag bolting this together at the least. Even with 2 x material I'd still skin it with 3/4" plywood. This is one project that needs to be over built since you are moving it. If it were just a simple stand I'd laugh at you for putting 2x material anyplace in it. Proper construction techniques and the right plywood is strong enough for any stand. Unless you are putting it on rollers.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I'll second the super duty casters. If you are looking to just move it out from the wall you could use simple wheel rollers and not the casters. That would allow you to pull it from the wall to clean but it would be difficult to turn. Think of refrigerators.

I would most definitely NOT use 4 x 4s for this project. Some 2 x 6s maybe with correct joinery. You'll be looking at lag bolting this together at the least. Even with 2 x material I'd still skin it with 3/4" plywood. This is one project that needs to be over built since you are moving it. If it were just a simple stand I'd laugh at you for putting 2x material anyplace in it. Proper construction techniques and the right plywood is strong enough for any stand. Unless you are putting it on rollers.
the building is not a worry, I overbuild everything. Trust me I built my downstairs cabinets for our second kitchen AND built the 500+ pound concrete counters they are supporting. I just wanted to know if anyone did this. I already looked at casters with ratings of 600+lbs a piece

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Total-Lock-Polyurethane-Polyolefin-Capacity/dp/B003E7E854/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1431544977&sr=8-5&keywords=industrial+casters
Also Im talking pulling it out from the wall during one of my 50% WCs like I do with my 30 gallon not taking it to a pinewood derby filed to the brim lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have an alternative; if you are simply looking for access to the rear of your tank, why not make a recess behind the tank by extending the finished ends and make the back removable with clips to attach it.

I personally don't like the idea of 400+ lbs of water on wheels.
(makes me seasick )

Best,
Nate

Journals:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those look really good, similar to what I had but without locks (but you will want locks I think). But those are VERY pricy, you might check around, here's another alternative with a bit less safety margin.

Try these

Those are 220 pounds each, I think you said it was a 55G so tank and stand are probably 600# or less, putting you at about 150 pounds on each wheel. And $10 vs almost $40.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Those look really good, similar to what I had but without locks (but you will want locks I think). But those are VERY pricy, you might check around, here's another alternative with a bit less safety margin.

Try these

Those are 220 pounds each, I think you said it was a 55G so tank and stand are probably 600# or less, putting you at about 150 pounds on each wheel. And $10 vs almost $40.
yeah right now its up in the air, I have an idea in my head I want to do that will work honestly and be very sturdy and safe if one wheel decides to cave but who knows.
Im of the mindset that when I get something into my head I HAVE to try it. Very type A if you will.

One thing I wont cheap out on is the wheels tho. Ill spend a little extra to have really good ones but honestly only 2 need to be able to swivel the other two can be stationary long ways.

Last edited by evil nick; 05-13-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Incidentally, one thing I did was attach a rope with a loop on the bottom, so when I wanted to move the dolly I could pull from way down low. Makes it much easier when stepping over rugs, etc., and you just stuff it underneath when not in use.

Linwood

Latest tank build:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode