How to level DIY aquarium stand? *Photo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to level DIY aquarium stand? *Photo

Hey guys,

I just built an aquarium stand but the frame is not perfectly flat. I'm not talking about the stand not being leveled, it's more that the top frame has a bit of twist. The frame that the aquarium will sit on is not perfectly flat. The reason is that I used miter joints and the results were not 100% accurate.

Should I use a hand planer or a sander? Any specific tips in executing such?

Photo:

Thanks

Last edited by chinaboy1021; 05-11-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
People make a mistake that I see when they do this. They level it at the place where they built it instead of the place where it will be sitting. How do you know if both are level to begin/w. Better to put it where it will be and then check for the level.
Will the tank sit on top of those boards at the top ? Are they on the sides of or on top
of the vertical ones ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Algae Grower

You can get a small bundle of shims (little wooden wedges) at your local hardware/lumber store. Shim it level when you position it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
People make a mistake that I see when they do this. They level it at the place where they built it instead of the place where it will be sitting. How do you know if both are level to begin/w. Better to put it where it will be and then check for the level.
Will the tank sit on top of those boards at the top ? Are they on the sides of or on top
of the vertical ones ?
Being level where you build it is irrelevant. Having all the pieces the same length is what matters. That's why whenever I can I gang cut the vertical pieces. Then they are always the same size. And I use squares to align everything. And also measure diagonals to be sure it's square but I don't use a tape measure for that part. Just a stick of wood. Way more accurate.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Guys,

Sorry I couldn't be more clear in the original post. The problem is that the stand is not leveled. The problem is that the top frame has a bit of twist - it's not perfectly flat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are your joints solid or is there some give? The weight of the tank will do some work straightening the stand as long as there is some flex and the warp isn't too much (I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than an eighth inch. I have also heard it is good to put cushion of some sort between the tank and stand to help with minor differences. I saw one a while back where someone bought a cheap neoprene exercise mat and cut to fit.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can put a sheet of foam, and perhaps a sheet of plywood also for the tank to sit on. It will self-level, and you can cover it with trim molding.

DIY Enthusiast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If your top is bowed, cuped or twisted I would use a hand plane to tweak the defects. Then you can use shims to fill the gaps where needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanson2 View Post
Are your joints solid or is there some give? The weight of the tank will do some work straightening the stand as long as there is some flex and the warp isn't too much (I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than an eighth inch. I have also heard it is good to put cushion of some sort between the tank and stand to help with minor differences. I saw one a while back where someone bought a cheap neoprene exercise mat and cut to fit.
The other question is how flat and level is the floor where the tank sits. Often the floor is not level as well. Shims will help when you put the tank in its final position. Cushioning can be as simple as an exercise mat or the "ergonomic mats" meant for people who stand during the workday. I use the spongy shelf liners 2-3 layers thick to balance my tanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My 'cabinetry' skills are more 'rough carpentry' than 'finish carpentry' and most of my stands end up that way- maybe 1/8" out of square. One corner up, another down. The weight of the tank squares it up. Other suggestions above are really important:
See what it looks like in place- I have one area that is really bad, 1/2" difference front and back. Does not matter how good (or bad) the stand is, it needs a block, not just shims! Any twist in the top can be corrected then, too.

Here is how I handle it:
1) Set up the stand where I want it.
2) Plumb, level, square, using shims as needed. The twist might straighten out here, or it might not.
3) Add 1/2" thick Styrofoam.
4) Add tank. If it is a heavy tank it will usually straighten out the stand.
5) Add water, checking the level as it fills. If it gets more than 1/8" out of level when it is full I usually drain it to make it easier to add another shim. Then fill and check again.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
The weight of the tank squares it up.
This, more than anything.

Another thing I've done with 2x stands like that is get self adhesive weather stripping foam tape from home depot. if you get the 1/2" variety, and line the foot print of the tank it will balance out twists.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode