Peninsula tank stand/bar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Peninsula tank stand/bar

Well, finished my peninsula tank stand with a built in bar top. Here it is from start to finish. (Forgot to take pictures of the frame, but it's based off of GARF)

So, now I used tin sheeting as a wrap around the bottom and used tin roof "caps" for the corners. I also glued cedar boards of different widths around where the tank would sit. I then used a staple gun to staple it along the edges where they'd be hidden using trim later on.

Here I polyurethaned the cedar over and over again. This step took me over a week. I put around 70 to 80 coats on and got about 1/4 of an inch thickness of polyurethane. I plan on using a table top epoxy later on to further waterproof the bar.

And the tank goes up! Needed it in place for the trim piece on the couch side.

Trim attached and water/substrate in the tank. Used Miracle Grow Organic Choice capped with pool filter sand. Filtration (two SunSun 404B canisters) added, along with heaters and BML Nature Style XB fixture. Excuse the cloudiness.

Tank 12 hours after adding water followed by plants, more cloudy water after planting...

And here's the tank today after about 24 hours from planting and a 50% WC and a good cleaning of the canisters mechanical filtration.

Plants are as follows:
Sword, Amazon (Echinodorus bleheri) x 4
Sword, Ozelot Green (Echinodorus Ozelot Green) x 3
Sword, Red Flame (Echinodorus Red Flame) (Small) x 3
Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri) x 2
Sagittaria, Dwarf Subulata (Sagittaria subulata) x 10
Vallisneria, Jungle (Vallisneria Americana var. americana) x 10
Hairgrass, Dwarf (Eleocharis acicularis) (3.5"x5")
Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) (10"x5")

Currently stocked with 60 neons, 3 GBRs, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 6 emerald cories. Waiting for full cycle and adding adult discus from a "local" breeder (4 hours away, one way). Shouldn't take too long considering both filters were on my 240 for several months in preparation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Using the corrugated on the base was a great idea .Looks great! Don't know if I'd put epoxy over the polyurethane though . The poly has got a bit of flex in it that maybe the bar epoxy doesn't . Also , are there chemical compatibility issues you might run into with putting the one over the other?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have the same fear / question with the two materials.

I would simply suggest that you test it before applying the epoxy.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The two of you have a point. I'd really not even considered that. I'll definitely have to test it on a scrap piece. I might just get some thin acrylic and cut it to size for the bar, probably be easier. Any ideas on other alternatives? Think the poly will be sufficient?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
In a "high traffic area" like that, I think you have the right idea in a sheet of the thin acrylic like the box stores sell. Use a little 300 grit to just knock down the top corners and it's good to go. You can remove it when you want / need to and it's easy enough to repair once the scuffs pile up. Given that you have cedar under it, it will most likely prove more durable against gouges and dents that any coating be. The only thing I have in the back of my mind making me doubt it is that in time, given swings in temp and humidity, it may stick to the poly; so that you may need to put some sort of clear spacers between the two. Just not sure on that one, but small clear cabinet bumpers would work.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd just use the polyurethane by itself . Just let it dry real good , like a few weeks or a month to make sure it's set through . Conceivably the thin sheet of acrylic could stick . It'll certainly get scratched up . So will the polyurethane , but you can sand and put another coat on it without too much trouble . FWIW , I've got a small metal lathe (an Atlas 618) sitting on a homemade butcher block type of bench top which has maybe 6-8 coats of poly . Hasn't sunk in yet and its been a few years now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like the idea of using the clear tabs to raise the acrylic off of the poly. I think I'm going to give the poly a few more weeks to make sure its completely dried before setting anything on it, then go with the acrylic sheeting. Thanks for the help, I'll post any updates as they happen. Tangent question, good place to order healthy cardinal tetras? None of my LFS carry them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode