Sump in the Garage --- Give me your thoughts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
Sump in the Garage --- Give me your thoughts.

Hello everyone!

I have a 120G tank with a 40G sump.

I just bought my first house and I'm looking to leave this tank in place for a long time.

The tank will be in my living room. I will have about a 12'-15' run from the living room to where the sump will be in the garage.

Has anyone had any experience with a sump in the garage. My only main concern is the garage getting too hot in the summer. I live in SW MO so we do have a few 90+ during July and August.

I have listed some PROs and CONs and would love to hear your thoughts and ideas before I get cracking at it. I'm currently sanding and repainting the stand so it will be a few weeks before I'm ready to start the install.

PROS
All support equipment will be in the garage.
Frees up a lot of room in the tank stand.
Easy maintenance on the sump and support equipment.
No noise in the house from pumps.
If the sump overflows, it overflows in the garage - no harm done to the house.

CONS
Cooling issues - (Heating shouldn't be a problem w/ 600w of heat)
head loss
Tank controller will be under the stand in the house. I have to run all the power from the Tank Controller to all the controlled devices in the garage (sump pump, CO2 solenoid, CO2 water pump etc.)

Thanks for your time!!

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Arduino Tank Controller:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HunterX; 05-08-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added PROS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you actually know if the garage will heat up substantially? My tuck under garage is always cooler than the outside air on hot days.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Do you actually know if the garage will heat up substantially? My tuck under garage is always cooler than the outside air on hot days.
You make a good point. I'm not certain to how much it will heat up. But I am fairly certain it will be warmer than the house.

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:

Arduino Tank Controller:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I vote for a 200 gallon tank !!!!.... And i think it would be fine is the garage ... i dont think the temperature difference would be that much
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZammZenny View Post
I vote for a 200 gallon tank !!!!.... And i think it would be fine is the garage ... i dont think the temperature difference would be that much
Thanks Zam. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

I'd love to have a 200 but I already own the 125. Lol

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:

Arduino Tank Controller:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Back when I lived in nj I had a 90g built into wall in living room , living room/ garage shared same wall I had my sump in garage nothing like your talking about distance wise but nj weather changes alot and I never had issues with the brutal winters or the summer heat , I say go for it you should be fine , I'd be more concerned with the plumbing distance then the weather that's almost like running a pool filter size pump at that distance no?
Keep us updated
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Back when I lived in nj I had a 90g built into wall in living room , living room/ garage shared same wall I had my sump in garage nothing like your talking about distance wise but nj weather changes alot and I never had issues with the brutal winters or the summer heat , I say go for it you should be fine , I'd be more concerned with the plumbing distance then the weather that's almost like running a pool filter size pump at that distance no?
Keep us updated
That is great to hear. Thanks for taking the time to let me know how your setup had no issues In the garage.

I do have to have a pretty good pump but I did the math and I have only 7 feet of head pressure with the distance and all 90. Most of that distance is horizontal distace which equates to 10 feet of horizontal pipe equalling 1 foot of head pressure. I'll be using a little giant pump that can handle that head pressure with no problems.

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:

Arduino Tank Controller:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't see why this wouldn't work. You could always cool the sump with fans for the couple weeks that the temp is high. Evaporation could be a little issue but topping off in the garage would be easy.
My only concern is the distance, more so than the head. Pumps will over come this but every so often you will need to clean the sludge out of the pipes or tubing. With the pipes being more horizontal I think the build up will occur faster and be more significant. If it's pretty much a straight shot and you could use PVC pipe for them you could plumb in some unions or disconnects so you could pull out the long runs of pipe and flush them out with a hose. Or flush a string through them and use it to pull a cleaning brush through.

I like having the noise and most of the maintenance in the garage. Will be watching.

-
-

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDean View Post
I don't see why this wouldn't work. You could always cool the sump with fans for the couple weeks that the temp is high. Evaporation could be a little issue but topping off in the garage would be easy.
My only concern is the distance, more so than the head. Pumps will over come this but every so often you will need to clean the sludge out of the pipes or tubing. With the pipes being more horizontal I think the build up will occur faster and be more significant. If it's pretty much a straight shot and you could use PVC pipe for them you could plumb in some unions or disconnects so you could pull out the long runs of pipe and flush them out with a hose. Or flush a string through them and use it to pull a cleaning brush through.

I like having the noise and most of the maintenance in the garage. Will be watching.
You made some great points that I didn't think about. Im using PVC so I'll add the clean out points you talked about. Great tip.

As far as cool the sump with I fan, I won't be able to do that. My sump is sealed to help with co2 loss. I would be able to add one to the main tank if I need to. I'm not concerned with water loss. I will have an ATO in place to instantly replace any lost water immediately.

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:

Arduino Tank Controller:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:31 AM
Planted Member

Hi HunterX, I also have the same temperature problem as you do. Here in Covington, La. it can get quite hot in the summer. I am in the process of installing an ro/di system in a storage building we have in the back of our home. It's not insulated so I bought some sheets of styrofoam to insulate a 75 & 90 gal tanks to put the ro/di water in until I need it. To move the water inside I have a Lifegard 1hp pump to move the water close to 50' to my refugium up into my 125 gal tank in the living room. My goal is to add about 12 discus into my planted tank so warm water will not be a problem. I'll insulate with water pipe insulation to keep it warm. If you need to know more PM me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarro1950 View Post
Hi HunterX, I also have the same temperature problem as you do. Here in Covington, La. it can get quite hot in the summer. I am in the process of installing an ro/di system in a storage building we have in the back of our home. It's not insulated so I bought some sheets of styrofoam to insulate a 75 & 90 gal tanks to put the ro/di water in until I need it. To move the water inside I have a Lifegard 1hp pump to move the water close to 50' to my refugium up into my 125 gal tank in the living room. My goal is to add about 12 discus into my planted tank so warm water will not be a problem. I'll insulate with water pipe insulation to keep it warm. If you need to know more PM me.
I was already planning on insulating it too if I needed to.

Do you have your system up and running? If so how's the pump handling the distance?

Bump: I already received some great input that has helped me improve the desigh. Please keep the input coming. I'd rather over engineer it in the beginning than not happy in the end.

Darrin

Shrimp Tank:

Arduino Tank Controller:

Last edited by HunterX; 05-08-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: sp

Tags
120, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode