aquarium stand in raw industrial style - Page 21 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Has anyone done this type of stand and used a coastal grey stain? If so, pics would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Heh; looks like my angelfish gave me a need for a new tank, pest mart's price matching petco gave me a great deal on it, and now I need a stand because I don't want to leave that thing on my kitchen counter forever.

Such hardship.

A contractor's pack contains exactly enough of the brackets. Lowes only had 3 on the shelf, but a whole box above. I got the box, so now they still have 3 on the shelf.

Now, has anyone found a 4x4 that's NOT pressure treated?

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #303 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
Heh; looks like my angelfish gave me a need for a new tank, pest mart's price matching petco gave me a great deal on it, and now I need a stand because I don't want to leave that thing on my kitchen counter forever.

Such hardship.

A contractor's pack contains exactly enough of the brackets. Lowes only had 3 on the shelf, but a whole box above. I got the box, so now they still have 3 on the shelf.

Which brackets did you get? The package I posted was for 2x4s only:

I didn't kn ow they had contractor packs for the larger versions?

post #304 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The RTC42 equivalent. This is made by a different company though.

Basically, that's what the case is labeled as - a contractor pack - and it contains 8.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #305 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

Such hardship.

Home Depot sells stud grade 4X4's and Lowe's doesn't. There's still some other home centers / lumberyards around, but not many that may have them.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #306 of 312 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

'kay. May have to investigate another store. The one I was at yesterday appeared to have nothing untreated.

I was looking at bannister posts. They have some that are 4x4 top and bottom, but they're too long and I'm not sure I could trim enough off them to make them useable. Still can't figure out who needs a bannister 4-5' high.

post #307 of 312 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At this point, it looks like it's a very regional thing - none of the stores in my area have stud grade 4x4s. They do appear to have cedar 4x4 fence posts though. Hmmm. Naturally, they don't carry matching 2x4s.

Slightly annoyed - we had a bunch of lumber sawed up by someone with a portable saw mill. FIL gave away what wasn't used for a deck that...was a bad idea since it wasn't pressure treated. Eh, stuff would probably be so deteriorated by now it would be a bad idea for this too.

post #308 of 312 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
At this point, it looks like it's a very regional thing - none of the stores in my area have stud grade 4x4s. They do appear to have cedar 4x4 fence posts though. Hmmm. Naturally, they don't carry matching 2x4s.

Slightly annoyed - we had a bunch of lumber sawed up by someone with a portable saw mill. FIL gave away what wasn't used for a deck that...was a bad idea since it wasn't pressure treated. Eh, stuff would probably be so deteriorated by now it would be a bad idea for this too.
Not sure what lengths you're willing to go to, but when I made one of these stands I had clear vertical grain douglas fir 4x4s and 2x4s delivered from this company: http://www.onlinelumberstore.com/lumber. They also carry western red cedar and redwood. I've ordered from them several times since for other projects, and have been very satisfied with my experiences. They do residential shipping with no minimum on how much you have to purchase, and it's beautiful wood.
post #309 of 312 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been nearly a year since my handy DH built this stand for my 50g. Recently he built the shelves above as a means to store stuff and suspend my light (the shelves are attached to the wall via cleat, so super sturdy). The turnbuckles were my idea. They're really perfect for making micro-adjustments to the hight and leveling of the light.

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech
post #310 of 312 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Planted Member

Thread revive because why not
Would it be possible to use just 2x4's and only internal support brackets and glue https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9...030dcc070b.jpg
To support a 50 gallon? or does this design rely on having the brackets externally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #311 of 312 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I am far from a cabinet maker or carpenter but I believe it relies on the external brackets.

RAOK Club #55
post #312 of 312 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 11:30 PM

Hi there ! So I am just starting my stand tomorrow, we have purchased the wood. It is for 180gal tank. Couple ?
How many pieces of 2x4 should i layer on the inside of my frame for support? Should I go 4x4 or double the 2x4 on legs and does it matter?
Im thinking 3/4 in plywood for top and bottom.... Also im guessing with my dimensions Ill have to build doors? Im looking to find the shop table deck corner brackets steel plated to give it the industrial look, where did you find them?
Stand is 7 ft long 6 in on either side of tank and 3 ft deep and 3ft high
Oh yes and the color stain that was used? What exactly is it? Its gorgeous!~
Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode