3D printing outflow for FX6 - Need some advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
3D printing outflow for FX6 - Need some advice

I have made a model of a outflow that I though would work to reduce pressure, but not flow from the FX6. Imagine this in the water, pointing up towards the surface. Will have to do something about the connection over the rim, but my skills in 3d sketching are not good enough yet to make a fancy goose neck tube. First day designing, its hard but its a lot of fun too You think it could work? If you have any comments/modifications/ideas please share. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakian View Post
I have made a model of a outflow that I though would work to reduce pressure, but not flow from the FX6. Imagine this in the water, pointing up towards the surface. Will have to do something about the connection over the rim, but my skills in 3d sketching are not good enough yet to make a fancy goose neck tube. First day designing, its hard but its a lot of fun too You think it could work? If you have any comments/modifications/ideas please share. Thanks in advance.

looks like it would need to be a little more open on width and shorten the length so it would not be pushing water down around the openings to hard. i will see what i can do once i get my cad system back on my computer for you

, 33g retired
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, thanks dude. I can try to adjust to what I think you mean if you don't get to it before me. Ill post a little later. But wouldn't it making it shorter just increase the pressure at which the water would be pushed down and out after hitting the "top"?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[IMG][/IMG]
with the shape and the width to height it gives is less pressure downward and more flow out than down,

, 33g retired
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks a lot. Seems like you have a better understanding in flow/pressure than me, because first glance my logic says the water would hit the "top" harder. But I have no background only common sense I will try your design for sure. And why I though of pointing it up instead of down, I have no Idea. So much simpler and shouldn't make much of a difference.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well it helps that i have been raised around welding and fabrication, so i have a very good knowledge of flow and pressure, also the fact that i work with motors which need fuel pressure as the HP(BHP)

, 33g retired
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What about incorporating a conical deflector inside to direct the flow outward?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thought about something like that too. But I think that would just concentrate the "jet" to shoot out of the top.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just a cross section of my last post showing what's on the inside maybe a bit more clearly .

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
What about incorporating a conical deflector inside to direct the flow outward?

Its a nice idea but it would actually cause jetting faceing down and could distrub substrate and low swimming fish verse leting it flow out of the sides on its own pressure causing gentle flow
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

that cone needs to be much shorter/lower to balance advantage, wich is less flow restriction to disadvantage wich is flow pointed more downwards.

as a side note, what happened to good old lily pipe desighns? why would you need outflow that cant be used to effectively increase water movement? omnidirectional outflow makes sense to me only if placed in the middle of the tank
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I tried to use a moded outflow on my FX6 on the 75g tank. Had a "lillypipe" design with one output. About 2" in diameter. The circular current is so strong that my cardinals and Strebais can barely cope with it. So wanting to use the FX6 on this new tank, which is even smaller I have to do something.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just FYI....when you go to print don't print it with the tube in the vertical orientation.

The layers are put down horizontally and the weakest plane will be between the layers. So when you go to push on the vinyl tube you run the risk of it snapping.
Ask me how I know!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode