Simple wet/dry/sump build planning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Simple wet/dry/sump build planning

Hi all....
Early stages planning a 4-5x2x2 planted tank. I'm keen to try a wet/dry/sump filter.

Without regard to chamber volumes - does this design seem like it will function?? I figure if the siphon is under water in the sump, noise would be reduced, and could pre-filter here with a sock/sponge etc.

I'm positive I'll drill/have the tank drilled for this (even if I decide on canisters) - any suggestions for quiet overflow designs?

Cheers
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump-mk1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	463833  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

I have a similar wet/dry, it's really the way to go for a larger tank.

Herbie drains are almost dead silent, easy to set up & maintain, and move a lot of water. Here's a link to one of the better discussions I've read on these.

For your drawing, end the down pipe just 1" under the water level for your intake -- otherwise air is more difficult to clear from the line when you stop/start.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would say check out the bean animal overflow since you are still deciding. Here is a thread that used it with success.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=447681

And a link to the set up of such an overflow:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

Question:

Won't you still hear the trickle over the wall and in the trickle area? A lot of the wet/dry sumps I have seen just displace the drained water over top of mechanical media. I've also seen people utilize those cheap plastic draw storage containers to make a drip tray.

I just read you want to make a siphon, that makes sense. I haven't read up on siphons much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the useful links gents.... it seems a Herbie or Bean drain will be the way to go....

I think some sound of trickling will obviously be heard, but inside a covered sump in a cupboard should be manageable, rather than a sucking drain at the top....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

Definitely either a beananimal or a modified one (ie both internal and external boxes) for your outflow. You can also pick up a complete kit from glass-holes.com. They have several models depending on the size of your tank. There are several designs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is there a specific reason to go Wet/Dry? I run a wet sump with foam "walls" on a BeAnAnimal overflow, short of start up the system is quiet.

I'm pushing 700gph on a 75g and a 20g wet sump with 3 Porret foam "walls" going from coarse (10ppi) to medium (20ppi) to fine (30ppi). I pull out 1 sheet of foam every 4 months and rinse it out, yet keep 2/3 of the bio filtration and don't "crash" the system. No baffles to build, very straight forward design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-04 12.23.10.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	465041  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The wet/dry is very popular in reef aquariums because it adds a lot of air back into the system with the trickle tower. I see a lot of reef aquariums without surface agitation, just power heads to create a current in the tank. The trickle sump adds a lot of aeration to the system and allows some different type of bacteria to develop (or something weird like that). I don't see the practical use in a planted tank since you should get quite a bit of oxygen from plants.

I have a sump planned that will be quite similar to Bratmanxj's. I plan on using light diffuser or some sort of grate to hold the foam in a little bit more tidy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree that wet/dry systems are popular in the reef keeping world but aren't necessary (or overkill) in the freshwater world. Why are canister filters so popular in the planted tank forums? What I have built is really an over-sized canister filter but in a sump it affords me much more flexibility: heaters, continuous water change system, additional water volume, time of maintenance.

I ran a wet/dry for a year before I took down the tank and built this setup. I always had the "toilet running in the living room" feeling with the constant trickle. The foam is a bit pricy but I expect it to last for years; I'll never go back to wet/dry.

Last edited by Bratmanxj; 04-22-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: additional information
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've read some recommendations by Tom Barr about using a wetdry, and with a tank of 100g planned, a sump is a good idea in any case.
I have an Aqua One tank at present with a wetdry top-filter, and have been happy with it, without any problems keeping CO2 up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Best sump design I have seen lately;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=843513
design on first page /pics of build in last post .

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode