Cerges Reactor - new idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cerges Reactor - new idea?

Have read many threads on building various types of reactors for use in injecting cO2 into the water column. The cerges seems to be popular but the one thing is seem to keep running across is the loss of flow thru the reactor. With that thought in mind, I cam up with the following idea. Using a 450 gph power head, I cant seem to notice any real reduction on flow between with reactor and without.

Now, here is my big question for those of you that have built and used these.
In the second pic, do you think cO2 gas will build up in the cap (top) of the reactor? If so, is that a big deal if it does? I suspect once the bubble gets big enough it will just get pushed out one of the 2 outlets.

Also, fyi - the cO2 line will be installed on the inlet, just below the hose connection. Also, once installed the bottom of the reactor will be at the same level as the bottom of the canister filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm confused.

I have not seen a filter canister like that before, with two outlets on the sides of the cap and an inlet on the top in the middle of the cap. The ones I have seen have an inlet and outlet on opposite sides of the cap with nothing on the top.

Did you plumb both the inlet and the outlet on the sides of cap together and then drill a hole in the center of the cap for the pipe that goes to the bottom of the canister?

My understanding of the cerges reactor is the water flows in and immediately enters at the top of canister where the co2 is collecting. It is constantly churned by the inflow and is absorbed by the water. The water then flows down to the bottom of the canister and then into the end of the pipe where it then flows back up [through the pipe] and out of the canister through the outlet. Because the water is exiting the canister though the pipe at the bottom, the co2 bubbles can not escape. Any bubble that are pushed down towards the bottom by the current of the water simple float back up to collect at the top where the water is entering.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

uh yeah these canister filters with no filters in them do not create any appreciable restriction in flow.. which I am sure you would of noticed if you just did it the same way everyone else does.

infact most people have to bypass it to reduce flow and make restrict the output more, without damaging there pumps.. because too much flow and the bubbles dont dwell in the chamber and get blown right through.. it wont collect at the top, it will go right into your tank.

ive seen not a single person complain flow was too low, infact the opposite.. seems less flow is better on a cerges... you've over engineered in reverse and likely created a giant leak.. reducing the output pressure will only hurt the operation of it, as higher exit pressure dissolves co2 faster.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Thanks for the info guys - moved on to a different design

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cerges

A cerges is the way to go. I don't understand why you built it this way, and why you have so many elbows on it. Here is a pic of mine . very simple and very affective. I have a disani water bottle on the inside with the bottom cut out. The water and co2 feeds into the top of the bottle. The large size of the bottle allows the co2 to stay in the bottle and to disolve better. My filter housing has a shutoff/bypass valve built in.

Last edited by rick dale; 05-07-2015 at 12:24 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Hey Rick, your water bottle idea is a good idea. Regarding all the elbows, my setup includes a bypass loop so I can maintain full filter flow. The bypass valve is used to adjust how much water goes thru the reactor.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh , understand now. Nice build.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice build Immortal. I guess you have a strong filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Thanks for the compliments. Filter is a Marineland C-360. As promised, here is an installed pic. Due to limited space, I designed the reactor in more of a vertical fashion so I could squeeze it behind the filter (need to leave room for cO2 bottle)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i love this because we can never have enough space inside the cabinet

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode