Backyard Clay - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Backyard Clay

Is clay I dug up from my backyard safe to use on my tank? I would add the clay in 1/2" balls under my substrate.

Chasing Red...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It should be fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As stated above, it "should" be okay. But then there is always room for thinking twice before using it. The clay is fine but then what else may come with it?
Some things to avoid might be if the clay comes from a spot where the rain runs off a parking lot or street? How long since the spot has been treated with any pesticide like for grubs or termites? Any folks nearby who tend to do nasty things like dump their oil or antifreeze rather than dispose of it?
Some care and things don't sneak up on you as much. Life is a risk but I like to hold it down when I can.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't personally introduce anything that couldn't be sanitized prior to introduction. Not sure if pesticides and such can make it down to clay. Maybe bake it after you've molded the pellets?? Should sterilize..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the advice. Where I got the clay it is impossible for rain to collect or run off from parking lots/roads. It was in the middle of a raised bed garden, a tomato cage prong was stuck in a root and I had to dig down before cutting it off.

How long and at what temperature should I bake the clay for? Can I bake it before molding so the balls won't crack/crumble before adding?

Chasing Red...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

just curious what benefit does adding clay from your/or mine back yard do for your tank I wouldn't think it has any organic mineral value or iron that could be used by the plant in the tank but I could be wrong
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe it is for the high CEC value it has, my floramax has a low CEC value.

Chasing Red...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok that sounds reasonable
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My reasoning is right for the high CEC value?

Chasing Red...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd bake it around 300 for 8 min. Google may know a bit more how's that tank doing man? Blyxa running a muck yet??
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
I'd bake it around 300 for 8 min. Google may know a bit more how's that tank doing man? Blyxa running a muck yet??
Had some melt from the blyxa but without knowing what to look for and looking close you wouldn't see it. I had everything for my pressurized system but when taking apart from testing for leaks I broke the aquatek bubble counter with integrated check valve. Going to order the GLA bubble counter when I order my dry ferts after the stand materials are bought.
I tried sending you a pm on aa but it said you chose not to receive pms...thought you shut them off so you where not bothered on your vacation lol

Other than that everything is going good.

How are your gbr tank and 5 gal project tank going? You ever order another female?

Chasing Red...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Had some melt from the blyxa but without knowing what to look for and looking close you wouldn't see it. I had everything for my pressurized system but when taking apart from testing for leaks I broke the aquatek bubble counter with integrated check valve. Going to order the GLA bubble counter when I order my dry ferts after the stand materials are bought.
I tried sending you a pm on aa but it said you chose not to receive pms...thought you shut them off so you where not bothered on your vacation lol

Other than that everything is going good.

How are your gbr tank and 5 gal project tank going? You ever order another female?
They should take off soon!! The aquatek bubble counters are a but fragile, i found heating the tubing in semi boiling water eased the setup. I blew my first one up.by cracking up the need valve, blew the top across the room hahah... ohh well, they're cheap.. i have had 3 running problem free for almost a year.
Not on vacation soon though.. tanks are bangin away.. got my new female, they paired within minutes..amazing stock.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Setting the counter up wasn't the problem, it was taking it apart that I broke it. Thought about trying to superglue it back on but not sure, don't want to really risk leaking co2 into the room.

Nice to hear you got a new female and they paired up fast.

Chasing Red...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode