-DIY co2 Help- - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
-DIY co2 Help-

So, I started a DIY co2 system for my planted 10g tank, but it won't produce co2 at all. Ive tried with numerous different bottles, recipes, and still nothing. The main bottle with the yeast is producing co2 as I can here the reaction between the yeast and the sugar. It travels through a short stem of silicone tubing into another smaller bottle filled with water where, the co2 bubbles are visible through the water. From there, nothing. Ideally the co2 would travel up the second section of silicone tubing connected to the smaller bottle, through the check valve, and down into the diffuser. However, this seems to be the issue. Does anyone have these issues, or have had them? Thanks, and Happy Easter-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Have you checked for leaks? You can test using soapy water around all the connections. If you're using a ceramic diffuser, there may not be enough pressure to make it work. Some dont do well with diy co2, esp small set-ups with only one reactor bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response. The diffuser I use is exactly like this one. I believe it is glass. I have checked for leaks, and haven't found any. I feel like there is not enough pressure generated from the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diffuser.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	457073  

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First things first get rid of second bottle no need for a bubble counter bottle on a diy co2 system as you can't adjust the flow rate anyway it's useless , also check that you have the check valve the right direction know it sounds silly but it happens after that check for leaks as mentioned above even a small leak can upset the system as it really doesn't produce alot of pressure I run DIY co2 myself it's amazing the benefits let us know how you make out

Bump: That glass difusser isant going to work with DIY no enough pressure do a search on YouTube about chopstick diffuser cheap and works , I myself modified a mini elite filter that I run my co2 too it's amazing at chopping up the co2 bubbles again YouTube u can find a vid on it if you need any help pm me
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've had trouble with those glass diffusers on DIY systems too. I think once the ceramic disc gets saturated, it takes a long time for the pressure to force the water out and start bubbling. I "fixed" it by letting it dry out, hooking it all up, and then putting it in the tank. Of course, this was after I had triple checked for leaks. Next chunk of money I'm putting into this hobby is definitely a pressurized system. What kind of filter do you have? HOB AC's work great for DIY diffusion, due to their design. You just let the CO2 bubble up the intake and the impeller does the rest.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried the chopstick method and it still isn't producing anything. I may have a minor leak that is causing the pressure to top out just below the threshold for the co2 to move through the chopstick. I say this because the pressure is strong enough to push the water back down the tubing to the diffuser but it stops there without going through the diffuser. I'll check my filter model when I get home. Thanks again-
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just got it to work with the chopstick method. It is producing about 1 bubble/sec of co2 in patches between 2-6ish bubbles with the diffuser. The filter I have is a Topfin 20. It's a bit big for the 10 gallon tank, but it has an adjustable setting to lower the flow rate. The last questions I have now is whether the 2-6ish bubbles/sec is fine enough to be considered diffused, and if I should set up another one on the other side of my tank. Again the tank is a 10g with HC planted. Thanks again for the help guys, very much appreciated.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are you running one 2 litter bottle? If so that should be plenty on a 10 gal tank I run 2 bottles on my 30 g , watch your PH it should drop one full point if your running enough co2 so say you started at 7.2 it should drop to 6.2 that's a good indication you want the bubbles as small as u can possibly get them from your defuzzer and keep your eyes on your fish in the beginning cause if your getting to much co2 you can gas them y'all see them up top gasping for air , very unlikely with a diy co2 but u never know
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to test my pH in the morning after it has had some time to settle. Currently I don't have any fish so I don't have to worry about that yet haha. I'm running it with a 1L bottle actually, but still with 2 cups of sugar, and 1/2 tbsp of yeast, so it produces quite well. I will have to change it often, but it shouldn't be too bad. I just want to make sure I have enough co2 for the baby tears. Thanks again, hope to update my tank journal soon too-
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's the same mix I use but I add 1 table spoon of molasses it gives the yeast a little extra to feed on keep us updated
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:17 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
You may already know this but just in case, use degassed tank water to check the base PH level, not/never tap. Sit some tank water out in a cup or bowl for 24-30 hours and then test the PH. That will give you the correct starting point to compare the PH drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you have a leak. when ppl say yeast cant produce pressure for ceramic diffusers they are wrong. yeast can produce pressure event to blow up the container if sealing is tight.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ceramic defussers are not made for DIY systems they just plainly require a steady consistent pressure and the fluctuations of a DIY system just don't cut it , I am not saying yeast don't produce pressure cause it sure does but it starts high and petters out quickly to a much lower pressure over the coarse of a week or two there are much better options as disffuser for DIY systems that don't require the pressure the ceramic does especially running a single bottle
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I was doing diy co2 I had a nice little reactor. I can't imagine using one of those ceramic diffusers; they are not very efficient at all. They are all about aesthetics and not so much utilitarian.

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

Diy co2

Not enough pressure I,d say.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode