LED strip light wiring help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
LED strip light wiring help

I have started on an LED light for my 29 gallon tank but need some help. I used one 5m role of 90 watt, 6000k, SMD 5630 LEDS (http://www.everbuying.com/product751682.html); 60.48 watts of 2300k, SMD 5630 LEDs (http://www.everbuying.com/product693014.html); and 16.40 watts of SMD 5050 blue LEDs (http://www.everbuying.com/product780890.html). Total wattage is 165.98. I bought this 5 channel controller http://www.dx.com/p/tc420-1-4-led-pr...7#.VR4ERvkjKs0. I have three different power supplies available. One 3 amp 12 volt power supply and two pc power supplies. One is 180 watts and one is 185 watts. I want to run each color of lights on a separate channel. I already have the LEDs mounted in aluminum channel. See photo that follows for layout. I used heat transfer adhesive to hold the strips down.

Now for my questions. Which of the power supplies should I use? Or do I need a bigger power supply? Will the 20 amp controller work with all those strips? Do I need to wire each section in series or parallel?

I have done basic home wiring like installing fuse box and wiring light fixtures and outlets but this LED stuff is giving me a headache for some reason. My Dad is helping but asked what the Ohms were for these lights and I cannot find that info listed anywhere on the package or in the item description. I have been reading all of the build on here and other sites but something is just not clicking and I really need some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDlayout (640x480).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	456009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ledcontroller (640x480).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	456017  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Jeff will have all the info you need I am sure. LEDs are his forte.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You will need to use all five channels on that led controller because it can only handle 48 watts per channel. You will need to use 2 channels for the 6000k led's, two channels for the 2300k led's, and then last channel for the blue led's.

I would use a power supply with at least 175 watts at 12 volts.

The resistance of the led strips does increase from one end to the other. The traces that are printed onto the strips that carry the current from one end to the other create increasingly higher resistance from one end to the other. That increase in resistance causes a drop in voltage. Little by little as you go down the strip, the resistance gets bigger and bigger and the voltage gets lower and lower. But, unless you are wiring up multiple entire rolls of led's in series you won't see a noticeable output of in light across the length of the strip.

I would wire the sections of leds on each channel in series.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Madoran View Post
You will need to use all five channels on that led controller because it can only handle 48 watts per channel. You will need to use 2 channels for the 6000k led's, two channels for the 2300k led's, and then last channel for the blue led's.

I would use a power supply with at least 175 watts at 12 volts.

The resistance of the led strips does increase from one end to the other. The traces that are printed onto the strips that carry the current from one end to the other create increasingly higher resistance from one end to the other. That increase in resistance causes a drop in voltage. Little by little as you go down the strip, the resistance gets bigger and bigger and the voltage gets lower and lower. But, unless you are wiring up multiple entire rolls of led's in series you won't see a noticeable output of in light across the length of the strip.

I would wire the sections of leds on each channel in series.
what he said..

Reference: <20A total <4A per channel...for the controller
6000k and 2300k "runs" should be split in 2.. The sections of a "run" should be joined serially (end to end)
Not sure how it works w/ the controller , but to make up for the voltage loss, you can feed each serial string from both ends..Running 18ga wire to the other side..
What do you think??

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. Now I can finish it up and hopefully get it on my tank. One more question if you don't mind? I didn't add a fan but wonder if I should. I have several pc fans of various sizes I could use but I tested the cool white lights out before I glued them down and they didn't seem to get too hot. I laid a strip across the aluminum and had the rest laying off the aluminum and the strip in contact with the heat sinc didn't get warm. The lights not on the heat sinc were warm though. I am making end caps to connect the three sections and could easily incorporate a fan in one or both sides.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Thank you. Now I can finish it up and hopefully get it on my tank. One more question if you don't mind? I didn't add a fan but wonder if I should. I have several pc fans of various sizes I could use but I tested the cool white lights out before I glued them down and they didn't seem to get too hot. I laid a strip across the aluminum and had the rest laying off the aluminum and the strip in contact with the heat sinc didn't get warm. The lights not on the heat sinc were warm though. I am making end caps to connect the three sections and could easily incorporate a fan in one or both sides.
I don't trust much of the heat removal capability of the back of the strips. That said, I also hate fans..
A fan on one side (no point in putting ones on both sides if in the same "channel") certainly won't hurt. except your ears..

cooler LED's are happier LED's..

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

Have you actually measured the current these strips are operating at?
From my experience you will get nowhere near the wattage you mention.
At most you might get 30 watts on the 5m strip.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No, I haven't measured the current. I went with the higher wattage because I had seen other builds using lower wattage and I figured the wattage is over estimated. These are the 5630 SMD strips which are super bright. I read another forum where a member used the 5050 SMD and said they were super bright and put their tank in high light. They suggested the 5630 would be way too much. I decided to try it anyway. I figure I could always dim them down if needed. Or add lots of floating plants to block some of the light. I laid one strip of the cool white on top of the tank and added power to see how bright it would be. That one strip pretty much lit up my tank so I figured all 5 meters should be very bright. I hope to have my pressurized CO2 ready in a couple of weeks. So I hopefully will not have an algae problem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can get considerably more light out of those SMD strips if you apply the power at both ends of the strip. The LEDs are in parallel within each strip, so there is no reason not to supply power to both ends (and the middle if you wish). That cuts back the power loss due to the long printed on lead wires in the strips.

Hoppy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:55 AM
Algae Grower

I made a shop light from a 5m strip of white 5630 LEDs. This is what I found.

Running the whole 5M from one end on 12V only resulted in about 1.5amp. Connecting both ends jumped it to 2.5amps. Cutting it into 4 strips and wired in parallel drew about 2.7 amps or about 32W.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
My Dad is helping but asked what the Ohms were for these lights
doesn't matter.. Diodes don't really display a "resistive" load..

As to every ones "watt calculation" you have to take in account you have a dark component. The resistor uses "watts" so even taking the overall system measurement will give a false reading for light. For system power consumption it is OK.
Generally speaking those diodes are run at 3V plus. Taking the voltage across the diode and using the diode specs will give you true watts..

Quote:
Package: SMD 5630, 5.6 x 3.0mm
Max. luminous intensity: 20lm @ 50mA 50lm @ 150mA
Viewing angle: 120 Color temperature: 5000K
Forward voltage: 3.0V
Emitting color: white
Forward current (typ/max): 50mA / 150mA
CRI (min): 80Ra
Power dissipation: 0.5W
Operating temperature range: -40C ~ 85C
Storage temperature: -40C ~ 100C
Solder temperature: 260C (3 sec.)
so .2W to .5W depending on clean power and the current limiting resistor Ohms

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-05-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: specs
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

These strips are made up of 100 sets of 3 LEDs. The LEDs within the sets are wired in series and the 100 sets are wired in parallel. Since each set has a limiting resistor(ohms) you don't need any additional resistors. Just apply 12V DC to the strips. In your case it would be best to wire the individual strips in parallel to reduce the voltage loss along the strips. With a 12V supply even if you cut the 5m strip into 4 strips and wired them in parallel you would be lucky to get 3amps flowing. On average that would be 30ma going through the LEDs. Note in the previous post they mention 20 lumens per LED at 50ma so your light output maybe considerably less than you expected.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsp View Post
These strips are made up of 100 sets of 3 LEDs. The LEDs within the sets are wired in series and the 100 sets are wired in parallel. Since each set has a limiting resistor(ohms) you don't need any additional resistors. Just apply 12V DC to the strips. In your case it would be best to wire the individual strips in parallel to reduce the voltage loss along the strips. With a 12V supply even if you cut the 5m strip into 4 strips and wired them in parallel you would be lucky to get 3amps flowing. On average that would be 30ma going through the LEDs. Note in the previous post they mention 20 lumens per LED at 50ma so your light output maybe considerably less than you expected.
http://www.led1.de/shop/files/Samsun...q748akqp1djs42
typical resistor: 12V 150 Ohm / 0.5W

SMD151.. check the strips..

Other common size seems to be 39 Ohms.. (more on the line of 100-150mA per diode)
Point is output and current depends on the design or the strips.. i.e which smd resistor??

My kind of "go to" place
Quote:
Surprisingly, at 12v, I only got 3.44a (41.28w, 45% less than advertised value!). You can get the results here (google doc).

I then plotted watts against volts, and it turns out that I would need to power this strip at 14.14v in order to get 75w!
http://electronics.stackexchange.com...for-led-strips

Quote:
What I have tested has 39ohm resistors and draws 1.6Amps at 12.0V for 1 meter.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-05-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: data

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode