Dimmer: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Cliplight - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dimmer: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Cliplight

Here is how I modified my Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Cliplight to include a built in dimmer... Finnex are you watching? You should do this OEM :P

Soldering & Warranty Voiding Skills Required.

I got a cheap $5 LED Dimmer off AmazonPrime took it apart, de-soldered the connector, soldered the wiring in place and then fit it all back into the lil plastic clip.

Link to same dimmer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYXGEEQ

Here is the light and the dimmer disassembled but unmodified:

Dimmer board with connector desoldered:

Everything Wired up:

And put back together:

Installed on a Fluval Chi and dimed to low:

Full Bright:

Time to replant, hopefully without as much algae!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nayr; 04-01-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice one..

Somewhat more invasive than what I did with the Planted+ I modified, but it is the same basic principles...

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, yeah the cliplight has 120vac input and the transformer is housed in the base of the clip.. luckily there was enough room.

I am considering ripping the transformer out, putting a 2nd dimmer in it and wiring two 14v wall warts into it.. this would let me put the blues on a separate timer.. but for the cost I might as well hook a few mosfet's up to an arduino and get better results.. wonder if I could fit an arduino into the cliplight with the switch and transformer out of there.. I have a teensy 3.0 with an RTC crystal.. will be a future project, this should do for now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
perhaps I'm being dense, but the dimmer says pulse width modulated... But I'm not seeing any of the electronics associated with that unless it's on the backside of the board. If it's not there you could've probably saved some space and just used wire nuts/solder to attach the wires.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

theres circuitry on the back side of that dimmer board to output a PWM pulse.. I just didnt happen to catch a photo of that side of the board..
Works well this way since there no circuitry on top to possibly contact the transformer.. the two boards sandwitch into the case, you have to slide the dimmer board between the transformer and the bottom of the case.

Speaking of wire nut, I didnt photograph it.. however the OEM wire nut coming out of the toggle switch should go.. solder and shrink wrap the wire and you'll have plenty of room for the dimmer if you add minimal wire.

Last edited by nayr; 04-01-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
SWEET! I might have to look into this for my clip light, atm I have no need to dim it as it's about perfect for my 5g, BUT I could see it be useful at some point

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah it could be useful if you run out of gas, nutes or want to skip town for a bit and slow things down a little.

I bought the light because the original one on the Chi sucked, would not grow anything and the fountain would need constant maintenance.. The Finnex instantly gave me an algae outbreak and Ive been running very short photoperiods and very frequent tank changes for far too long.. should of done this months ago when I still had thriving plants in there..
I bought the dimmer a while back and then later found the transformer was internal and it would not be a simple cut and splice of the power cable so I tossed it on the shelf..

A sudden spring motivation made me evaluate the situation and it turned out better than I intended.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode