DIY stand question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
DIY stand question

Can you guys looks at this plan and tell me your thoughts? It seems within my capabilities. I want it to hold a 75 gallon. This website says that this plan can hold up to 500 gallons.

http://www.garf.org/calculators/BuildLargeStand_3.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Seems legitimate.

Best,
Nate

Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Ok, next question. Where is your favorite place to get lumber?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Well, my favorite place is at work but, that's because I am a cabinet engineer and scrap is free. Otherwise I would order from a local lumberyard; it is best to call for a quote because prices are not always the same. Another bit of advice, If you are looking use the plans above and go with MDF or particle board, you should go with varieties that are moisture resistant. The price is not much different and you will be happy with that little extra insurance.

Best,
Nate

Journals:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It's all construction grade lumber. Home Depot, Lowes. Modells are the places to go. For the surround I would go with a 1/2" hardwood plywood with solid wood trim if you want to stain. Just be careful with grain direction. Stiles (vertical members) grain runs up and down. Rails (horizontal members) grain runs left to right. Basically grain runs in the longest direction of the piece. People who run it wrong should be tarred and feathered, boiled in oil then put in front of a firing squad.

Oh yeah, the outer stiles should run full top to bottom with rails in between. Those who do it the other way should be tarred and feathered, boiled in oil then put in front of a firing squad.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I built my stand for my 125g that is 72" x 18" x 24" and I built 4' tall because I wanted space on the bottom for my refugium and a Fluval fx6 plus my 20g QT tank and pressurized Co2 tank and other aquarium accessories . I used 4" x 4"s for the legs to support the weight and 3/4" walnut veneer plywood for the front and sides.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
That site is legit and trustworthy. As for wood, we have a place called 84 lumber or something like that. Definitely the place to go with your measurements and ask for the bulk of your wood. Other than that, I use Lowes because it is 5 minutes from my house.

Basically, local lumber yard and then basic home improvement shops as a back up.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
That site is legit and trustworthy. As for wood, we have a place called 84 lumber or something like that. Definitely the place to go with your measurements and ask for the bulk of your wood. Other than that, I use Lowes because it is 5 minutes from my house.

Basically, local lumber yard and then basic home improvement shops as a back up.
There use to be 84 lumber here also. Haven't seen them around in over a decade.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
They may have been bought out by another company here locally too. I've just always referred to it as 84 lumber because they still sell the same stuff. I'll check. Google says they are still open here! (Tavares, FL)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode