Can anybody help a n00b out with a simple DIY lighting question? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can anybody help a n00b out with a simple DIY lighting question?

Hello everybody! Newbie to the boards here. I've been taking the last few years off from aquaria while raising my daughter. Now that she is of sufficient age to get through most days without endangering her life, I feel it is time for me to set up a tank again. I previous had a nano reef tank, lit by 12 Cree led's 8 xp-e royal blues, and 4 xp-g neutral whites. I'm looking at settings up an 8 gallon planted cube now, 12x12x12ish and am wondering if what I'm thinking will work. I appreciate any advice or criticism you can offer.

I currently have at my disposal the following:
the afformentioned Cree LED's
1x Meanwell LPC-35-700 Constant Current Driver.
~12"x8" extruded aluminum heatsink and fan.

I really like the idea of higher powered LEDs and in particular the Luxeon M 5000Ks seem to me they'd be ideal for a small planted tank.

Dimming is not important to me, I want the lights to come on, and then go off when they are supposed to. Cost on the other hand is, as is keeping my wife happy. My question is as to whether the Meanwell I currently have will work with either 2x the 5000K Luxeon M's or a combo of 1x5000K and 1x6500K.

The Meanwell is supposed to support up to 48V, so am I correct in assuming that 2x11v forward @700ma should be no problem for it and also leave room to add a few supplemental 3W LED's for color adjustment? Do you think at approximately 2" off the tank with 2-3inches of substrate in the back, to as low as 1/4" in the front I will achieve sufficient PAR to grow some HC Cuba on the bottom of the scape?

I'm also looking into DIY CO2 , pressurized if absolutely neccesary, or possibly just dosing a carbon source.

Thanks for your input and any advice you can offer. I look forward to hearing from you!

-Brian

Last edited by bprinehart; 03-31-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
9-48V

It will drive x amount of LED's who's V(f) adds in series to >9V but less than 48V..

12V ones run happily at 700mA.. 2=24V fine..no matter the color
Voltage adds in series..

3 in a circle-ish form (sq tank) =3477 lumens. Not a lot of help but a "figure"..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Alright, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I knew I hadn't forgotten everything I learned about LEDs in a few short years! You don't think 3 would be overkill or is there really no such thing as overkill in planted tanks?

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited by bprinehart; 03-31-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprinehart View Post
Alright, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I knew I hadn't forgotten everything I learned about LEDs in a few short years! You don't think 3 would be overkill or is there really no such thing as overkill in planted tanks?

Thanks!
Brian
Yes there is overkill but there are parameters.. How high ect. You aren't dimming so that is one thing.
i suggested 3 based on overall coverage not power..
As a "REALLY" ballparked figure 3 will start you at 600PAR at the surface.. MANY assumptions go into this figure..
sounds like a lot..

Personally I'd use 4-5 smaller luxeons..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bprinehart View Post
Is there really no such thing as overkill in planted tanks?
Brian
Light and Co2 has to be balanced or algae overtakes the tank. So unless you are going to inject Co2 be cautious has to how much light you add. Hoppy has some good threads on lights and DIY light projects.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode