Ultrasonic Fogger for Emersed Setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ultrasonic Fogger for Emersed Setup?

Hey all, I have hairgrass, anubias, cyperus helferi, and telanthera cardinalis in a 30 gallon long emersed setup. I have noticed that most everyone is acclimating well except for the telanthera which looks to have shriveled up past coming back. My humidity feels pretty high, but I'm not even getting enough to make my glass foggy, so I am thinking about getting a cheap ultrasonic fogger from amazon to get my setup where it needs to be. Has anyone used one before and do you think one would be enough for a 30 gallon long? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM
Planted Member

Just curious, Is there no water or little water in the aquarium?

I'm new to this emersed stuff...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have the soil soaked completely with about a half inch of the water above the soil's surface. I've read that most people cover the top with wrap or do emersed setups in tupperware to keep the moisture inside, but I can't do this right now with the lights I have so I just have the stock lid over it with the stock fluorescent light and another clip-on compact fluorescent inside the tank.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Planted Member

Is it possible to tape plastic wrap halfway down the tank? With ventilation of course.

Reminds me of when I used to grow Venus fly traps when I was younger, I had to find ways to keep moisture in but also allow air exchange.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedCrow81 View Post
Is it possible to tape plastic wrap halfway down the tank? With ventilation of course.

Reminds me of when I used to grow Venus fly traps when I was younger, I had to find ways to keep moisture in but also allow air exchange.
I grew flytraps and pitcher plants myself when I lived in Alabama. I hadn't thought about partially wrapping the top, I think I'll do that, but I'll still need a humidifier. I think I'll order one and then see what happens.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a little emersed setup right now (although I am repurposing the tank here soon), and I use an ultrasonic fogger for humidity. The fogger runs a few times a day just to bring the humidity up a bit. I also have the top covered in plastic wrap, with one corner open for ventilation.

I've had good luck so far with the setup, although things seemed to grow fine when my timer failed and the fogger wasn't running. I say try it out!

My tank is 6 gallons by the way. I ran the fogger for 15 minutes at a time which was enough to fill the tank with fog. With a larger tank I think you would just have to run it longer!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/97%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster View Post
I have a little emersed setup right now (although I am repurposing the tank here soon), and I use an ultrasonic fogger for humidity. The fogger runs a few times a day just to bring the humidity up a bit. I also have the top covered in plastic wrap, with one corner open for ventilation.

I've had good luck so far with the setup, although things seemed to grow fine when my timer failed and the fogger wasn't running. I say try it out!

My tank is 6 gallons by the way. I ran the fogger for 15 minutes at a time which was enough to fill the tank with fog. With a larger tank I think you would just have to run it longer!
What model or brand do you use?
Did you attach some kind of tubing to bring the fog to your tank?

||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some people just spray water in by hand.

Personally I keep the water level up just below my substrate, and spray every few days.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer
What model or brand do you use?
Did you attach some kind of tubing to bring the fog to your tank?
Honestly, I just bought some no-name one off of eBay. It has silly colored lights that go on with the fogger, but it was cheap!

No tubing - it just sits in the tank in the water. I have a separate container with holes in it that the plants and soil are in that sits in the water.

One thing to note is that when the water gets dirty, it doesn't fog as easily (and it smells awful, like dirt dust).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Planted Member

I have been using Ultrasonic Fogger for about 2 months now in a about 25 g tank

it takes 24 vlots and i have attached it's adapter to a analog timer to work every 2 hours for 15 min

it must be used with a shallow water in the tank or it will not work and do its mist

the tank has no substrate i am using pots

the water should be clean to not damage the fogger

plants in this tank is Crypt healthy, dwarf hair grass healthy, some kind of dwarf bacopa healthy , monte carlo but died , big baby tears but died

this one

Last edited by Gamezawy; 04-01-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: missed writing
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i have been thinking to try one of these

it's even have 3 and 6 hours off mode.
specs at about 300 ml/hour
what do you think

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
those ultrasonic foggers work best when kept at a certain depth, they sell floats to keep it at the correct level. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some type of fan going through the lid. I used a squirrel cage fan put a tube in the lid for the output, get ur self a 15 minute timer and u will have all the moist air u could ever want.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got an ultrasonic fogger coming into the mail today I think. Meanwhile, I have a huge Vicks vapor machine in my aquarium. It blows out air that feels like it's coming from a volcano but at least it's wet air.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
I got an ultrasonic fogger coming into the mail today I think. Meanwhile, I have a huge Vicks vapor machine in my aquarium. It blows out air that feels like it's coming from a volcano but at least it's wet air.
Don't cook them lol
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha ha it's not that warm. It does feel like a jungle though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode