angle iron stand question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
angle iron stand question

Question for the handy welding types: I have a custom, angle iron stand. I am considering having "wings" welded to the top, to extend width capacity without changing footprint. These wings would be supported only by the welds themselves; I am assuming this is a bad idea? The tank corners should sit on supported pillars, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, if anything add gussets.
Unless we are talking like 6" extensions on a sub 29 gallon tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Will completely depend upon the size of the iron, and the footprint/weight of the tank....

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL_RIP View Post
Question for the handy welding types: I have a custom, angle iron stand. I am considering having "wings" welded to the top, to extend width capacity without changing footprint. These wings would be supported only by the welds themselves; I am assuming this is a bad idea? The tank corners should sit on supported pillars, right?
How many inches are we talking about , and what size tank. Regardless , go with gussets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

it's 1" angle iron, perhaps 1.25. Want to moving from an ADA 90P (~36x18x18, ~50G) to something like 48x18x24, which according to my math would be close to 90G. Too much additional stress on what would be ~6" extensions?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think you'll be fine.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I see no problem. We often see tanks that are supported only on the ends. If you look at the stand when there is no tank on it, you can likely press the angle iron down in the center of the span so it is not really holding up much weight in the current use. If the "correct" size stand holds the tank on the ends only, that would mean the centers of tank don't bow down. If the sides don't bow in or down, it is fine. That's why railroad bridges work.
So if the ends can hold the center, is there any reason the center can't hold the ends as the sides are not going to bend? At some point it might become a question of how much weight the base, legs, etc. are good for holding but that takes a pretty extreme amount.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

graphic and rich, do you concur that gussets are the way to go?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe we need to make sure of the definition of gusset? Talking an iron plate across the intersection of the horizontal and the vertical iron?
Yes, this would add a lot of strength to the top horizontal iron as well as some to cut out any question of the whole frame folding sideways. Whether a gusset is really needed might be a question. Perhaps a simpler weld just adding a rectangle of iron over the existing top frame would be a bit cheaper and simple? Sometimes it gets into a question of whether it "looks" strong as much as true strength.
That is where my point comes back around. When we put a tank on a stand that doesn't extend under the tank ends, it looks really scary. But when we think about it, can the ends bow down? Not without bending the whole front and back panel. So if the tank is supported 6" in from each corner or supported fully under the corner, it makes little difference. Four points all level and true is the important part--within reason.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so you're saying I can use my existing stand in its current configuration and simply allow for ~6" of overhang on either side?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The gussets would really be aesthetic. I would add the wings. I would make them a u shape to cover the entire end of the tank. That's not for strength really. I like the look of the angle iron all the way around the tank. Also it will protect the edges of the tank. Sort of. You could start out with a triangle gusset and maybe cove the hypotenuse to round it a bit. It's all for looks so do what you like.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

forgive my slow uptake, graphic. You're saying the wings are indeed for integrity or sheerly aesthetic?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL_RIP View Post
forgive my slow uptake, graphic. You're saying the wings are indeed for integrity or sheerly aesthetic?
Not really for the integrity of the stand. More to keep the edges of the glass safe from you hitting it with something. Yes I know it's rimmed but better safe than sorry.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Let me explain some of my thinking to make it a bit more clear?

We know that an angle iron stand has some reasonably small iron involved and we can press down on the center of the top horizontal and make it bow down. Yet we know that it holds the tanks as designed. Since the center bows down so easy the weight has to be supported by the portion over the legs where we can't press it down. The center can't bow down because the sides won't bend.
Example A in the picture below? We know this works and feel fine with that.

Example B is often used by folks who want a quick, cheap and often temporary stand. Like college folks who move often? They build two stacks of concrete blocks, throw a couple 2X4 across for the tank to rest on and it works even though you can easily bend a 2X in the center of a 3-4 foot span. The weight is supported by the legs and the rest is just floating because the sides won't bend.

Example C? We don't like it! it looks really bad and unsafe. But where is the weight resting? The weight is still supported by the legs and the rest is just floating. As long as we don't go crazy and extend the ends to the point that it topples left/right, the tank is okay.

So when you ask about gussets and extending the ends, I feel they make us feel better and it looks "right" even though the weight is still going to be supported by the legs just the same as without the extention and gussets.

All this has to be done with some reasonable limits but for 6" either side, I see no problem.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rich,

Very much appreciate the time and energy there. That post is helpful. I suspected all along that the "scary" version of C would be just fine, but I wanted some confirmation. If I don't have to fuss with the stand, which primarily means ensuring a completely planar surface after the new welds, that's quite ideal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode