Water changing rig - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Water changing rig

I use a python to drain & fill my outdoor tanks. The other end of the RV hose used to be covered with a Ehiem intake strainer but I would have to clamp the hose to the tank being serviced & be mindful of the position of the terminal intake strainer.
To solve this issue, I built a PVC rig that would hang onto the tank, drain to the desired level using removable extensions and the filling could be more rapid w/o disturbing the substrate.
The out of water section was glued together & all submerged pieces are press fitted. Slots were cut into the tee arms & the slots were positioned upwards. I also attached quick disconnects to both ends of the hose so, the male inserts are attached to the Python and the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADA Gentleman #6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is W/C rig 2.0. Removed the elbow & replaced /w fpt X slip coupling for quick disconnect nipple. Adjusted arms & extension lengths. Sprayed all visible PVC surfaces w/ black rubber coating. Recut tee slots and rotate inwards approximately 45 degrees.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
rig 2.0 is beautiful
great idea because sometimes i'd wish for my hand to be free instead of holding hoses down

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
rig 2.0 is beautiful
great idea because sometimes i'd wish for my hand to be free instead of holding hoses down

Thank you, will also install a on/off valve @ the end of the hose just before the quick disconnect so I can stop fill @ the tank instead of having to run back to the python end to turn off the faucet.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow! what a great idea! what fittings are those? mine leak really bad so I always have to turn off the water at the faucet but I'd love to be able to turn it off at the tank.

My question would be how do you clean the dirt and poo off the bottom of the tank?

Bump: Wow! what a great Idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal this from you! lol How will the quick disconnect fittings handle the pressure if you don't actually turn off the faucet? I'm also curious on how you clean the dirt and poo from the bottom with that method.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codski View Post
Wow! what a great idea! what fittings are those? mine leak really bad so I always have to turn off the water at the faucet but I'd love to be able to turn it off at the tank.

My question would be how do you clean the dirt and poo off the bottom of the tank?

Bump: Wow! what a great Idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal this from you! lol How will the quick disconnect fittings handle the pressure if you don't actually turn off the faucet? I'm also curious on how you clean the dirt and poo from the bottom with that method.

Thanks for the compliment. Except for the quick disconnect nozzle, the rig is made from slip fit PVC.
Everything not submerged is cemented. All the submerged pieces are just pressed tightly together so things like extensions for deeper tanks can be added on.
As for bottom debris, in my outdoor tanks with substrate, the wild Neos keep it pretty much mulm free. In tanks that are bare bottom, I just stir up the water to suspend the debris and the rig will suck up most of it.
I have to confess that w/ all my indoor project tanks, all are planted with some kind of carpeting plant (HC, Glosso or Monte Carlo). Any mulm is under the carpet so visibly there is no debris. Also I haven't done a water change on my indoor displays for quite some time. Really all I do is top off w/tap water.
Lastly, there are o rings on the quick disconnect nozzles so with faucet water pressure there should not be any leaking. I did find that if you orient the connection horizontally, the weight of the hose can cause leaking from the joint while filling. That's why with the revised version, I oriented the connection to the hose vertically. Hope this helps in building you own H2O changing rig. Good luck!

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made a similar one with a valve, I use it to drain, then refill with a pump in a bucket of remineralized RO. I close the valve, attach to the pump, open valve and go. Works great for not disturbing substrate. With the valve I also don't lose my prime when switching tanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
I made a similar one with a valve, I use it to drain, then refill with a pump in a bucket of remineralized RO. I close the valve, attach to the pump, open valve and go. Works great for not disturbing substrate. With the valve I also don't lose my prime when switching tanks.

Just added an on/off valve on the hose just before the quick disconnect. Maintaining prime is a pro that I didn't even consider but with my Python, may not be a factor.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode