DIY Inline heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY Inline heater

TPT,

I built a DIY inline heater that was housing a Ehiem 200 watt heater. the heater was brand new, a couple weeks ago, and now my tank is boiling water. Is there a different brand heater, that would work better in the DIY inline heater, or did I perhaps just get a bad heater from the start?

Thanks for your input. Luckily I still had not moved over fish to the new tank, so I am fortunate there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
the Eheim Jager is the go-to heater for DIY inlines. that's what I used for mine. how much water do you have there? are you not able to just turn the heater down?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The heater is set as low as it can go. Water contact is unknown since it is inline. I did make a few modifications to the DIY inline thread, that I found on here, and cut my intake T, and bushing down as short as I could make it, so that way I had the most water contact I could have.

I guess I will order a new heater. Hopefully the new one works better than this new one. If not I guess I will put the heater back in the tank. I love not having it in the tank though!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

sorry, by how much water i meant what size tank. depending on your canister's flow and the reduction in flow the T produces the water may just be dwelling too long for a 200W heater and producing the higher temps.

at any rate, sounds like the lower powered heater is the way to go. good luck to you
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is a 125. Filter is a FX5. I am tempted to just use a 50w heater I have at the house still NIB. I will have to have it set higher, but I think even if it failed it would not boil the tank. worst case is it doesn't work, but then, my only concern would be the tank getting to cold, but the house is pretty steady at 72, so that would not hurt the angels either....

Options, options
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv9tb View Post
Tank is a 125. Filter is a FX5. I am tempted to just use a 50w heater I have at the house still NIB. I will have to have it set higher, but I think even if it failed it would not boil the tank. worst case is it doesn't work, but then, my only concern would be the tank getting to cold, but the house is pretty steady at 72, so that would not hurt the angels either....

Options, options
with both my 75 mbuna tank and my 55 planted community i've used two heaters that individually are barely enough or just below what's required to maintain temps in the tank but that together easily accomplish it. i've done this because if one fails and shuts off the other one can keep up until i can get a replacement while if one fails in the ON position it wouldn't be powerful enough to cook the fish (the other heater's thermostat would keep it from running or running much at all while the first experiences an always ON failure). i also like that running the two in tandem like that means that each is rarely heating for very long and therefore perhaps experiencing less wear and tear. finally, i use Cobalt Aquatics heaters which do not use bi-metal switches that can be prone to always ON failures.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use two heaters in my bigger tanks, but for the 125, I did not want to run another inline heater. The one I have, and the co2 reactor is enough of a decrease in the fx5, I did not want to run another inline heater.

I have never had issues with my eheims up to this point, and been using them for 5+ years. I think I may have just gotten a faulty one. At least the bad one gives me a chance to add in a secong bleed valve for purging air, and a change to dissect the heater and see if I can cut any of the black housing on top off to get it to sit even farther in the inline body.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Test your enheim in the tank where you can see if the light turns on & off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode