Interesting find - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Interesting find

I have never had this happen before, my tanks are all downstairs. This morning I heard a sound like my water softener running at 9 am. When I went down to investigate, my co2 setup was loosing gas where the regulator connects to the tank. I had frost and everything! I have no idea how long it had been going.

I have not taken it apart yet, just turned off the gas.

My guess is the diaphragm, or gasket or what ever it is called is cracked. . . .Weird, I have never heard of it happening, but off the top of my head I cant think of anything else that would do that.

I will pull it all apart on Thurs or Friday, in the meantime, anyone want to hazard a guess at what happened?

I rigged a beverage regulator to run my co2 and have had no problems with it for years.

Fun for all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If it's at the tank connection, my guess would be your washer/seal in the regulator nut finally bit the bullet. I've never had it happen in the manner you describe, but that seems the likeliest cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
It was evolving into a bomb...

Sheer Madness!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Actually, when I took it apart, there was no crack in the gasket, it is well ringed from the pressure of tightening it, but looks ok. I put it back together and tried it out, works like a charm! I am down to 900 PSi on a 20 lb tank though.

I cant think of why it released the gas, I was sure it was the gasket failing.

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
900 PSI is full for a co2 tank if you ask me.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Possibly the relief valve opened. The tank must have been overfilled. The room temperature had to be pretty high to get to 900 psi otherwise, let alone even higher.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I had been running the tank for about a month, I dont think it was the relief valve or over filling. As far as room temp goes 70 F max. This is definitely a intriguing puzzle.

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode