T5 Retro wiring assistance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
T5 Retro wiring assistance

I have an existing Power compact fixture (actually its two), that I want to retrofit with T5 bulbs instead.

The existing ballast is suitable for a 96 watt power compact, so it should be more than enough for a 54 watt HO T5.

I am just a bit perplexed on the wiring. The ballast has four lines (i would presume these would correlate with each of the pins on the PC bulb).

I also have shunted T5 endcaps.

I need my wiring gurus to show me where each wire needs to go. I can handle the wiring and connections no problem, just don't want to short this thing out with me playing around trying to figure it out on my own.

My guess is I connect wire 1 and 2 together and mount to one end cap. Put a jumper from one side of end cap to the other side.

Then wire 3 and 4 together and mount to other end cap and do another jumper as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here are some pics.

Ballast (you can see the four pin connection on the right side.)

T5 End Cap

T5 End Cap connections

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
To begin, this ballast is designed to run a PC compact lamp, not a T5 lamp. There's a very real risk that you'll blow either the lamp or the ballast or significantly shorten the life of one or the other (or both). Nevertheless, you can go ahead and try -- it might run anyway.

Each pair of pins on the PC Compact lamp roughly correspond to the pair of pins you'd see at each end of a T5 lamp -- so you should use that to figure out how to wire your setup. By the looks of it, pin 1 and 2 go to one end of the lamp, pin 3 and 4 to the other. However, I would not connect any of these wires together (as you propose to do), which brings us to the next issue.

You say you have shunted end-caps -- which means that both pins, within the end-cap, are connected (i.e., adding a jumper would be redundant). This is not what your rapid start ballast is expecting. You should use non-shunted end-caps. Shunted end-caps should only be used with instant start ballasts (such as the Workhorse) -- an instant start ballast will have a single wire going to each end of the bulb.

Good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ahhh. Thank you. So perhaps I should just buck up and get a workhorse ballast. Doesn't seem like a major expense and it would be the safest way it seems.

Which model do you reccomend for (2) 54 watt?

Looks like the Fulham site says to use a Workhorse 5 with Diagram 11.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

A Workhorse 3 will run a single 54W lamp -- but you might consider getting a 5 or a 7 if you plan to run more lamps in the future. I *think* naturallighting.com has the best deals on Workhorse ballasts, but if you find something cheaper, let me know.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
These very nice end caps you have there are non-shunted, that is the left and right pair of contacts is not connected. So they would work for your ballast. If you go ahead and get a Workhorse ballast, you would connect one of the contact pair with one of the other pair to turn them into a shunted end cap.

I would follow the leads to the bulb, that would tell you which of the four ballast pins go to which of the bulb pins. Like Dalban mentioned, most likely 1 and 2 go to one end, 3 and 4 to the other.

While there is a certain small risk that it won't work, keep in mind that PC bulbs are pretty much just bent T5 bulbs. If you have a Kill-A-Watt or other device that measures wattage or even a multimeter that measures amperes, you can easily see if the ballast will over- or underdrive the T5 bulb.

I recently acquired a WH7 ballast for $42 shipped from 1000bulbs.com. Looks like NL would charge about $46 unless you whip out some coupons. Small difference though, cost me probably an hour to google the best price.

WH5 is enough for 2 bulbs, probably a bit cheaper.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
These very nice end caps you have there are non-shunted, that is the left and right pair of contacts is not connected.
x2...I used the same end caps in a rebuild project of my own.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
These very nice end caps you have there are non-shunted, that is the left and right pair of contacts is not connected.
Can you tell from these pictures alone? I've only ever used the non-shunted style so I can't be sure, but I do know this manufacturer makes both shunted and non-shunted T5 end-caps (that look the same from far away). It's easy to take these end caps apart to reveal the copper conductors, so if need be you can double check.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hook it up an tell us how it works. I got a WH5 from NL to run a T5 54w. Since you have the ballast, I would try it. Found a couple refernces to people using PC ballasts to run T5s, nothing with a lot of info though.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalban View Post
Can you tell from these pictures alone? I've only ever used the non-shunted style so I can't be sure, but I do know this manufacturer makes both shunted and non-shunted T5 end-caps (that look the same from far away). It's easy to take these end caps apart to reveal the copper conductors, so if need be you can double check.
I wouldn't be able to tell from the pictures, but I, uh, handled them...

Took them apart as well... and added little wire bridges for use with the WH and Advance instant start ballasts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brion0 View Post
Hook it up an tell us how it works. I got a WH5 from NL to run a T5 54w. Since you have the ballast, I would try it. Found a couple refernces to people using PC ballasts to run T5s, nothing with a lot of info though.
Yeah, you just have to try things out and hope it will work. Often it does, and sometimes it does not. Like when I tried to use certain PC bulbs with 13W ballasts from AHSupply... they would simply not fire.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Only reason I thought they were shunted is because the have the tell-tale "S" on the back, which in my reading meant shunted. Will take them apart to check anyway.

Ok, so, I am going to give it a shot tonight and see.

Thanks everyone.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Are these real?

If shunted means "pins shorted", then these are non-shunted. Easy to shunt though if necessary.

Telltale "S", as in Stucchi?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

From my reading, the "S" is usually stamped on the Shunted caps. But I think that may not always be the case.

I believe these caps are "Sunlight Supply", could easily be that too I guess.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

These caps are distributed by sunlight, but they don't manufacture them. They're manufactured in Italy by a company called Stucchi.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LMAO. Man, you can see i am WAAAYYYYY out of my element here.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will give it a try tonight. I think I am going to order the workhorse ballast anyway, but for the heck of it, I am going to try and wire it to see if it works.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode