Canister filter instructions, please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Canister filter instructions, please?

I am need to build a canister filter. I only found 1 thread on it and it had no instructions. I want to use a AquaClear powerhead 201, which filters 125 gallons per hour. I got a bucket and pcv 1/2 and fittings. Just uncertain where to put the wholes so that the water will flow properly.

Could someone give me instructions, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I am need to build a canister filter. I only found 1 thread on it and it had no instructions. I want to use a AquaClear powerhead 201, which filters 125 gallons per hour. I got a bucket and pcv 1/2 and fittings. Just uncertain where to put the wholes so that the water will flow properly.

Could someone give me instructions, please.
i think the inlet should be at the top and the outflow at the bottom. you might also want a pump that will do more than 125gph. that is just how much it will flow freely in the tank w/o restriction. it will struggle to push water through the filter and media and back up to the tank... although it all depends on how big the filter and tank are.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
when i was building a canister filter, google search was my best friend. type in "DIY canister filter," and start going through the list. there are lots of different ways you can do this. the most common one i found was the lock & lock container method. how big is the tank you want to build it for? what is the bucket you have? unfortunately, i found planted tank forums don't know too much when it comes to building canisters. i also found that if you are building a canister for more than a small shrimp tank, it ends up costing about the same as name brand filter. the hassle usually involved can be a PITA, making it cost way more in my mind. i may also be building a canister in a few months for my 10g shrimp tank, with left over parts from my first abandoned project. good luck.

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...rtid=87&page=1

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post571057

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...tml#post423835

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This will be for a 29 gallon tank.
This is the powerhead.
I want to use 1 gallon pitcher, for it has a hole in the top. Thus 1 less hole to cut. I have no drill just a power screwdriver an carpet knife to make the hole.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amano101 View Post
when i was building a canister filter, google search was my best friend. type in "DIY canister filter," and start going through the list. there are lots of different ways you can do this.
Googled it got this:

A diy canister is basically a simplified sump, with a bucket (loaded with media) sitting inside a rubbermaid tub (or any other brand). Water goes from the tank, enters the top of the bucket, then drains down to the plastic tub and is pumped back into the tank.

I can't picture how the cycle of the water going in the tank via 1 tube and out another tube keeps moving. Is it gravity and the pressure from the pump that keeps it working?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
did you go to google.com and type in "diy canister filter"? one of the first websites that pops up is the first one gmccreedy listed. that powerhead is too small for a 29g. a pump ok for a 29g would probably blow the lid off that pitcher, it looks like. i was also looking into building a canister filter for a 29g. i eventually decided it was not worth the cost and hassle to build it for this size of tank. i am planning on using what i now know to build one for a 10g shrimp tank. btw- i ended up getting an eheim classic 2217 for the 29g. a 2215 would have been fine if i had not used a reactor. the 2215 uses a 164 gph pump on a 1 gallon canister.

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was planning to get the canister filter built last night but having problems with earaches. Now after reading all of the info beginning to think it is a bad idea. Wanted to do it to prolong the life of my powerhead. For it keeps getting clogged up. Thus decided to put a panty hose over the end with a replacement sponge over it.

When the powerhead gives out I will make a canister filter with the pump outside the canister. For amano101 told this helps minimize the pressure build up in the canister.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The info at this site seems the simpliest to extend powehead life. I am uncertain if I can do it without tearing down the tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...tml#post423835[/quote]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode