DIY Tyvek Diffuser? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Tyvek Diffuser?

Since Tyvek and Goretex have been used to make DIY drop checkers would it be reasonable to try using those materials in a DIY CO2 diffuser?

It could be a small container with the CO2 input tube in one end and the gas permeable membrane over the other end. The membrane would basically replace the ceramic disk in the traditional glass diffuser.

I haven't seen any articles/posts about using Tyvek/Goretex in this way and don't have experience with either one of these materials but it sounds reasonable doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those materials don't allow enough CO2 per square centimeter to pass through to be effective diffusers. They were not that great for drop checkers either. One way they might work as a diffuser is to get a big surface area to pass the CO2 through, by, for example, pleating it and then rolling it into a cylinder, with the CO2 supplied inside. I'm pretty sure it would only work for a short time before biofilm would largely plug up the pores.

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 AM

Essentially you would be better off making a large pvc cylinder and fill it with bioballs, or splurge and get a nano diffuser $5

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the explanation Hoppy. It was an idea my sister and I were contemplating for our tank because we like to tinker with DIY contraptions.

I think it might be time I just put in an order for a nano diffuser
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
dont waste your money on a cheap nano diffuser. yeah, it looks good when you first get it but the bubbles arent small enough. splurge on a $12 dazs (check ebay) or go all out on a do!aqua or ADA diffuser. i have a dazs nano pollen and the bubbles are tiny, i love it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
dont waste your money on a cheap nano diffuser. yeah, it looks good when you first get it but the bubbles arent small enough. splurge on a $12 dazs (check ebay) or go all out on a do!aqua or ADA diffuser. i have a dazs nano pollen and the bubbles are tiny, i love it.
Have you owned a cheap nano diffuser? Are you speaking from expeirence or are you just busting on it because it's cheap? I bought 2 cheap nano diffusers from ebay and both work well and produce tiny bubbles. The bubbles start to get bigger as it gets dirty but thats why i have two so i can switch them while i'm cleaning the other. The thing about these cheapo nano diffusers is that they're hand made in china so quality control may not be great but I certainly got two good ones.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFizbin View Post
Have you owned a cheap nano diffuser? Are you speaking from expeirence or are you just busting on it because it's cheap? I bought 2 cheap nano diffusers from ebay and both work well and produce tiny bubbles. The bubbles start to get bigger as it gets dirty but thats why i have two so i can switch them while i'm cleaning the other. The thing about these cheapo nano diffusers is that they're hand made in china so quality control may not be great but I certainly got two good ones.
I'd also like to know if that person was just huffing his own diffusers because that is what he splurged on rather than speaking from experience... still awaiting a response..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I have a cheap nano diffuser...it is ok. it's not the worst, but definitely not the best. You get what you pay for. If you are willing to sacrifice some, then it is just fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode