Cheapo DIY Stand Improvisation (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cheapo DIY Stand Improvisation (56K warning)

I needed a tank stand for my 75g tank. The problem was, I only wanted to spend $40 or less on a stand. Also 48" by 18" which is my dimension of my tank, seems to me to be rare dimension for a cabinet that is not custom made for a tank.
So bought this stand for my tank.

Now as you can see, IT ISN'T BIG ENOUGH!! *Sigh* it was the biggest stand i could find for 35 dollars... Dimension 36" by 16". When i went to put the tank on the stand, the stand wasn't big enough to touch the rims of the tank and i wasn't gonna leave it like that unless i wanted my tank broken and house flooded (now i do not know for sure but i wasn't gonna risk it).
So i came up with a solution, improvise!
Sorry i didn't think about posting it until i almost done. As you see later on the wood i used is called Poplar and it was from a door I took apart that look similar to this door.

OK so i took it all apart and now it look like this, i already gutted the middle, leaving only the outside.

I
now needed to clean it by my cutting the irregular sides off to make it straight with my table saw.
Result:

Now
its time to make it a little fancy.

When
i was cutting this wood, i notice that GEEZs its hard and it burns!!

Finished product, it didn't take me that long, and being broke makes you look for different options .

Can never be to careful.

Done!

!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I hate to say this, but I don't think that will work safely. The weight of the full tank will be concentrated outside of the boundary of the cabinet top, so it will tend to push the "frame" down until it buckles. Perhaps if you reinforce the miter joints with steel plates underneath it, out of sight, it might be safe. You will have about 750 pounds of weight on that rim.

Hoppy
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
might have been cheaper to build a stand out of 2x4's and 2x6's and just leave it with out a skin till you have to money for that.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I hate to say this, but I don't think that will work safely. The weight of the full tank will be concentrated outside of the boundary of the cabinet top, so it will tend to push the "frame" down until it buckles. Perhaps if you reinforce the miter joints with steel plates underneath it, out of sight, it might be safe. You will have about 750 pounds of weight on that rim.
Yea i already thought of that, i just didn't take a picture of it.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:03 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
is that stand particle board? If so, DON'T DO IT! I'm sure it will break. Just make a 2x4 stand. I would be scared to have a 75 on that thing. Sorry I'f I'm coming off harsh...

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 AM

looks tippy.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I can see the setup being a major concern of twist. If the tank is subjected to twist from corner to corner being out of level, then you wind up with around 70 gallons of water on the floor.

I have seen many people selling tanks with stands similar to this on craigslist but with much smaller tanks. I personally wouldn't risk the investment on this stand, even with steel plates under the corners.

If you do decide to go with this setup, let us know how it goes.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, not a good idea. I just had to modify a dresser I was holding just a 2.5g tank. Honestly if you only paid $35 for it, you're probably going to get your money's worth.

|

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
75g? Uff, I wouldn't try that. I recently built a stand for my 75g (journal coming soon i hope and I would never try to place something that heavy unsupported on the corners. Also, you have to admit that there is no way you'll be sure the weight of the water and decor will be perfectly balanced and what if you accidentaly pull or lean on one side of the tank when doing maintenance?

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Algae Grower

Id at least build a 2x4 frame in side it to hold the wait. Looks good though. Are you renting the house or do you own it? If your renting then go for it. If you own the place Id probably support it.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
Id at least build a 2x4 frame in side it to hold the wait. Looks good though. Are you renting the house or do you own it? If your renting then go for it. If you own the place Id probably support it.
If you have children or pets this is extremely dangerous. When that stand collapses it will do so very rapidly, and a child or pet could be very badly hurt if it is their little push on the tank that causes the collapse. Making a crude, but strong stand with cheap, even salvaged, 2 x 4's is a much, much safer approach.

Hoppy
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
looks like you have the tools... Head out to homedepot and get some wood.. I'm almost done with mine and It cost me a around $60-70 for all the materials.. I think I can go cheaper though.

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Google "freecycle" and find the local group. There you can ask for left over 2 x 4's or whatever, and very often get what you are looking for, at no cost at all. None of the pieces of a good stand are very big, so left over wood is often all you need.

Hoppy
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Where are you located pinto? I could probably hook you up with some 2 x 4s.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Where are you located pinto? I could probably hook you up with some 2 x 4s.
Doubt it, Im located in Louisiana.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode