CO2 bubble count. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
CO2 bubble count.

is there any "magic number" of bubbles per second you want to try and achive? after a lot of reading and a ton of tinkering i have a mixture that is producing 1 bubble per 3 seconds. good? bad? suggestions? Thanks.
Sorry CO2 noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
the bubble count you want depends on the size of the tank and the disbursement method.

1 bubble per 3 seconds is very slow, but may be all you can get with your DIY mixture. if you add more yeast you will get a higher rate, but it will burn up the sugar quicker. You can also use multiple bottles to get a higher rate.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

its a 10 gallon and im using a powerhead reactor.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
yeah... to be honest the only way you'll know is to find out your CO2 concentration. You can do this via buying a drop checker and 4dKH water or there are ways to use your pH and hardness readings to approximate CO2 concentrations.

I ran 1 bottle via powerhead on my 29g for a while but i don't really know how useful it actually was. The power head didn't break up the CO2 very well, which is basically the most important aspect of getting good CO2 dispersal.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Bubble per minute (BPM) is a reference that is only valid on an individual tank. The amount of CO2 necessary to reach a level of say 30ppm will vary from tank to tank depending on the volume of the tank, the Kh of the tank, the method of diffusion, the amount of surface agitation, the surface area and other things. BPM allows you to easily monitor and adjust the amount of CO2 that you are injecting. I also use it to let me know when it is time to change the DIY CO2 mix.

[/off-rant]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well see i did that test with the chart thing and it says my concentration would be WAY over 30ppm but after all my reading and stuff i find that hard to be possible being that i have 1 diy bottle at roughly 20 bubbles per minute... any thoughts?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etbarry View Post
well see i did that test with the chart thing and it says my concentration would be WAY over 30ppm but after all my reading and stuff i find that hard to be possible being that i have 1 diy bottle at roughly 20 bubbles per minute... any thoughts?
Use a drop checker. It's more accurate than the kH/pH chart for CO2 concentration.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

just dont have the money atm to order one and didnt want to wait more for one to come in... . oh well i guess.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
just dont have the money atm to order one and didnt want to wait more for one to come in... . oh well i guess.
I feel your pain on the money thing I am a full time college student who doesnt work. I have been trying to get a stable DIY CO2 system set up and I finally realized the other day that the first thing I should have done was bought a drop checker. It doesnt do me any good to figure out a setup that gives me a consistent output of 30 bpm when I dont even accurately know what 30 bpm is doing in my tank. Green Leaf Aquariums has some good drop checkers and the last order I placed with them arrived in something like three days.

[/off-rant]
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:17 PM

If you're a full time college student(like me) you can at least afford to build a DIY drop checker and get some 4dKH water.

just search around and you'll find something. Even the nice glass ones are only $10
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im going to order a DC but as for now theres prolly no a way i am over dosing co2 with a diy bottle at about 20 bubbles per minute, right? I just got a few rummynose the other day and dont want them to die off just wanted a slight bit of reassurance. Thanks for all your help! elliot.
P.S. any good shops for DC's other than green leaf?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Im going to order a DC but as for now theres prolly no a way i am over dosing co2 with a diy bottle at about 20 bubbles per minute, right? I just got a few rummynose the other day and dont want them to die off just wanted a slight bit of reassurance. Thanks for all your help! elliot.
P.S. any good shops for DC's other than green leaf?
You shouldnt have any problem with overdosing CO2. The cheapest place that I found to get DC's is ebay but the really cheap ones come from Hong Kong and I am not comfortable buying them but lots of people have with no problem.

[/off-rant]
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ya idk about that either i mean the green leaf one isnt that much if you look at the fact that it comes with the large bottle of solution etc. prolly just order that. thanks.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne_r6 View Post
You shouldnt have any problem with overdosing CO2. The cheapest place that I found to get DC's is ebay but the really cheap ones come from Hong Kong and I am not comfortable buying them but lots of people have with no problem.
yeah i ordered from them just fine and it actually shipped pretty fast...unlike some orders from Malaysia that took weeks.

But then you also have to buy solution so...it's kinda of a toss up.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use 1 tsp of fast rise bread yeast with 2 cups of sugar in my DIY setup on my 10g and that gets me 1 bps for 1 week. 1 bps on my 10 gal keeps my DC nice and green. 20 bpm and I would still be in the blue with hair algae growing faster than plants.

I got my DC from GLA and was very pleased with the quality and service.

More kids than time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode