Is this really that simple? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Is this really that simple?

Hola mi amigos,

I going to take a long vacation at the end of the month and I'm planning to setup a automatic dosing system for my 60g tank. I saw the article here on this forum and others members setups, but I have a simpler idea that sounds to easy to be truth. This is what I'm planning on doing, I would get a 2.5g tank, pump, seconds timer and tubing.

Is this right?

I would like to save some money on this project if is possible...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What do guys think?

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's what I take away from it, schematically. I think there is some work to do to make it nice. I don't dry dose yet, but this is something I could see myself doing a year from now.

65 gallon journal:

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
That's what I take away from it, schematically. I think there is some work to do to make it nice. I don't dry dose yet, but this is something I could see myself doing a year from now.
I would post the journal of how I would setup the system. I hope would be some help for you and others.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is some equitment that I found for the system. Please let me know if is going to work.

for the pump....

Timer....

Opinions????

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
well this has been done before just can't remeber if i saw it on this forum or another
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Can you give me the link to the article on this forum? Also, for your method, you would have to do a lot of calculations to find out how fast to make the pump go and for how long(but its the challenges that make it fun, right?). But it does seem plausible.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
How would you control how much it would pump? Would you have to do dilutions and test with each time span?

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
T

Thanks man!! Excellent reference.....

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
How would you control how much it would pump? Would you have to do dilutions and test with each time span?

I was thinking on trial and error. I mean, I would perform some test before the final setup. The timer that can be set by seconds. I would program the timer to run enough to get the right dose. Probably 50 seconds every day or so...

Would see how this end up

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The two problems I can see that might occur are:
The timer may give up the ghost from turning on a reactive electrical load so many times. Most timers work best on pure resistive loads.
The pump doesn't look terribly reliable, but looks can be deceiving.
And, the 2 1/2th problem: electrical power interruptions.

I can't think of an easier or more simple way to do this, so you probably have a winner.

Hoppy
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good points Hoppy!

I would hope for the best, but the real situation is not that bad. My friend would stay at home while I'm gone. Thus, he would babysit the hole operation. I just don't want him to deal with mixing, measuring and testing fertz.

I would let you guys know if it works!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you could always go with the ice cube idea some one was posting here a few days ago
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
you could always go with the ice cube idea some one was posting here a few days ago

linky?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode