Cerges reactor help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cerges reactor help

I have a 10" x 4.25" DIY ceregs reactor. I think it this one?

http://www.h2odistributors.com/fw4500cb34pr.asp

I have it connected via it own pump, needle wheel, which CO2 goes into, then the pump goes into the reactor, then back into the sump to the main return pump. I get nice amount of Co2 in the tank, but lots of mist in the tank still. Do you guys think adding a second reactor after the first would help? I don't have room for a 20" reactor.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 reactor

Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up?

Bump: Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up? This is how mine is hooked up. O bubbles in the tank.

Bump: Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up? This is how mine is hooked up. O bubbles in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rick dale; 05-07-2015 at 12:23 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think if you are getting mist in the tank then the flow through the reactor is too high. Can you adjust it?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, adding a second reactor would help for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have ball valve on each side of the reactor now, so I can either slow the flow going into the reactor or what comes out of the reactor. Which would be better?

The pump might be a bit high as it 500 GPH, and it for the reactor only.

Should I order the 2nd reactor as well?

The CO2 goes into needle wheel pump, then goes to the reactor, then back into the sealed sump to the input of my primary return pump which is a waveline dc 12000.

I will try to get a picture later today.

Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

I would mess with the flow before spending the money on a second reactor. Your flow is too high for the reactor. From what I've read and gathered around 300-400 gph is about as fast as a single reactor can handle. Turn the flow going into the reactor down and see if that helps any. Otherwise the flow going out might create a back pressure in the reactor itself. I can see one of two things happening then, 1) the reactor springs a leak 2) the pressure along with lower flow rater will help dissolve C02.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Don't use a needle wheel pump! These reactors are designed for counter flow and tiny bubbles get blown through where big bubbles float up and in the process will get dissolved.

I sure do like the water bottle reverse flow mod though, nifty. If you measure the cross section of the area you'd have a better idea whether that would work or not though.

Try a ball valve on the pump too, perhaps less flow would help since this is a 10" reactor with a big pump. My Rio 2500 with GPH of 780 with no head and 530 with 4' head handles a 20" reactor just fine, pretty sure I would have to use a ball valve to lower the flow rate if the reactor was a 10" housing. You want the bubbles to only go 3/4 of the way down the reactor so they don't get caught and blown into the tank.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Don't use a needle wheel pump! These reactors are designed for counter flow and tiny bubbles get blown through where big bubbles float up and in the process will get dissolved.

I sure do like the water bottle reverse flow mod though, nifty. If you measure the cross section of the area you'd have a better idea whether that would work or not though.

Try a ball valve on the pump too, perhaps less flow would help since this is a 10" reactor with a big pump. My Rio 2500 with GPH of 780 with no head and 530 with 4' head handles a 20" reactor just fine, pretty sure I would have to use a ball valve to lower the flow rate if the reactor was a 10" housing. You want the bubbles to only go 3/4 of the way down the reactor so they don't get caught and blown into the tank.
hmm thanks for the info. I got both as a read a lot of people use both. I cannot return the pump as it really high end skimmer pump and cannot have the needle wheel changed. What options do I have now then?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well do try turning down the flow through the cerges, that could help.

The people that use needlewheels to diffuse CO2 either put the mist into the tank as some people find that a mist of CO2 works better than dissolved CO2, put the output near the sump pump to chop it again or put the output under the wet dry tower so the bubbles float up and get dissolved there. May be more ways to use NW pumps as well, those are the ways I remember reading.

If the bubbles that get through are tiny and float to the surface slowly there isn't a problem anyway.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well do try turning down the flow through the cerges, that could help.

The people that use needlewheels to diffuse CO2 either put the mist into the tank as some people find that a mist of CO2 works better than dissolved CO2, put the output near the sump pump to chop it again or put the output under the wet dry tower so the bubbles float up and get dissolved there. May be more ways to use NW pumps as well, those are the ways I remember reading.

If the bubbles that get through are tiny and float to the surface slowly there isn't a problem anyway.
OK, thanks Kathyy, I mess around with it and see if I can improve it at all. Do you think I should order a 2 reactor, or waste of money? I don't mind ordering another pump, if that going to be my best bet long term.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Pretty much this. And if the big bubbles are still escaping you need to add a ball valve or use a different pump.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I completely missed that you have the reactor's output going back to the sump pump! I'd definitely try closing the ball valve before the reactor in that case.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode