what should i do?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
what should i do??

this is whats going on i have a 29 gal with a AC 50,18'' nutri grow lighting single tube on 14 hrs aday no hood,natural plant system co2 bubble counter/diffuser,temp is 78/80,planted tank java fern,amazon swords,micro swords,frog bit,and a few other plants,tetras,corys,rams,otoc cats, sae,dwarf gouramis.this is my water reading tests: ammonia 0ppm,kh is between dkh 3/4 ppmkh 53.7/71.6,gh is ppm 180 on dip strip,ph 6.4/6.5, no2 0/0.5,no3 40/80 also tested with dip strip.i just got a watersoftener pillow to lower gh and ph up to increase ph.what should be the right readings for my tank and is there any thing else i should do or try. thanks Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to forums I'm not sure what you're asking but I would get a liquid test kit, I've heard that the test strips are unreliable. Why are you wanting to change the Ph or the gh? If I read your parameters correctly your ammonia is high and you need to change some water to get it down.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

my ammonia liquid test level is 0 i have no ammonia. my GH is reading high at 180 on dip strip is to high i have hard water.my PH liquid test is reading 6.4. i feel it needs to be up to 6.8.this tank is not a newly started tank its had fish in it for fish years but in the last 2 weeks i switched over to a planted tank and plant friendly fish.i do a water change weekly 25%.i'm just trying to get the right balance in my water.i've had two fish die in last week don't know why so i tested my water and thats the readings i got so i'm thinking my GH in to be lower and PH up every thing else looks good.so what are the right levels should my tank read for a planted tank.am i doing this right or wrong.just need some help from you guys thats been doing this a lot longer. thanks Clint

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM

what was your nitrite? and nitrate levels? sorry i cant read what you wrote in the first post very well
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
Dont use any of those chemicals to increase or decrease your PH. Your PH is fine where its at. Just keep up with water changes try 50% or more. Im almost positive the fish deaths had nothing to do with your PH,KH or GH. Get a drop checker so you dont kill your fish with CO2. If you want to know your correct water parameters get better test kits they can be expensive but you get what you pay for. Lamotte test kits are what I use but I dose EI so I only have KH and GH test kits I use a meter and controller for PH.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

i'm going to get a liquid test kit for no2 and no3 i have dip strip now and they read for nitrate was between 40 and 80 but closer to 40 its hard to read with color chart the color is between the 40 and 80 color. nitrites is 0. chuukus should i just take out my co2 and see what my readings are is co2 lowering my PH.as for my GH should i put a watersoftener pillow in the filter where i live we have hard water and how does this effect the fish and plants.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 PM

co2 does lower your ph and you need to make sure your fish arent gasping and really get a drop checker asap so you can be sure the levels arent too high
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

i'm new to the whole co2 thing what is a drop checker and can i get one at my local pet store.i'm starting to think the co2 system is junk there is no way to adjust it or turn it off there is just 3 different positions on the bubble counter the fisrt position is for a 70L tank and the third is for a 20/30 L tank.i have a 29 gal tank should i put it on the third position or keep it on the first position witch its on now.the co2 cancanister puts out a co2 bubble every 6 or 7 seconds is this to much,and stays in the bubble counter till it reaches the top of counter than floats to the top of tank.i'm thinking the longer its stays in the counter the more co2 is released into the water right??so if i move the co2 tube to the third postion less co2 will be released is this right?thanks for all the help i'm still learning
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your CO2 is not pressurized I doubt you are over dosing. For your 29 gallon tank you should let it pump as much in when the lights are on because thats when your plants are using it. During the night you could use a air pump and air stone to degass the co2 or raise your filter return so your creating some surface turbulace. I think you should be safe pumping as much CO2 in when the lights are on.

A drop checker will hep you understand your Co2 levels I reccomend you buy one. I doubt that a LFS has one. Green Leaf Aquariums has the only drop checker worth buying IMO it comes with everything you need and instructions. When you buy a drop checker and if you see you dont have enough co2 If you have a canister filter you could pump your co2 into the intake for better diffusion.

If your test results are right and your PH is 6.5 and your dkh is 3-4 you are fine. I have never used a water softner pillow but test your PH with and without CO2 and test your KH then post it here when you can. I really dont think your water is as hard as you think you should be fine
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

which drop checker is the better buy:

Green Leaf Drop Checker
$25.99

CAL AQUA "Oracle" Drop Checker
$36.99

CAL AQUA "Double Check" Drop Checker
$39.99
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

also should i turn off co2 at night and run a airpump and stone or leave it on .
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is there any way for you to shut off your co2 at night? if so your fish would be safer. Those are all really nice drop checkers the more expensive ones are easier to read. Its your preferance some are just a little bit more fancy.

My co2 comes on about an hour before the lights and goes off 30 mins before the lights. If you keep Co2 running 24/7 run an air pump when your lights are off this keeps co2 from getting to levels that are harmfull to fish.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

no there is no way to shut off my co2 its a fermentation canister that runs to a bubble counter diffuser.i can plug it at night and unplug it in the day will that work.once i get my 125 gal tank up and running i'm going to get a co2 system that can run both tanks. thanks for all the help.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well, depending on what diffusion method you use there are ways to turn your co2 off at night, even with DIY systems. I use a small hagen pump to smash the CO2 into small bubbles. That way I can turn off the pump at night and almost no CO2 is disolved. The pump just "burps" very once in a while..
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog73 View Post
which drop checker is the better buy:

Green Leaf Drop Checker
$25.99

CAL AQUA "Oracle" Drop Checker
$36.99

CAL AQUA "Double Check" Drop Checker
$39.99
Why buy 1 when you make 1 a lot cheaper? Hoppy has posted instructions on how to do so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode