Turning off DIY CO2. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Turning off DIY CO2.

So im setting up my diy yeast co2 tomorrow and i understand that one should not leave the co2 hooked up/on at night. So i started thinking what if i just disconnect the hose from the bottle before i go to bed so the co just runs into the air in my room? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You didnt say what size tank you have. If its 10g or more you shouldnt have a problem, as long as you have good surface movement. I added a power head in my tank to keep O2 levels up. Depending on your type of filter you may not need to do that.

Brion
29 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 gal low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its a 10g. But all i have for movement is a AC 20 which dosent move that much water on the surface.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats a hang on the back filter, right. You can leave the water down a little to make extra surface movement.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i had thought of that however if the water goes lower i believe that you will see the water line in the tank and i hate that.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i really find this part troublesome and have nevr been able to do it properly ... i always get someone else to do it 4 me !!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The only time you might have a problem is if your surface is still. As long as the filter is running youll be okay. I never had a issue till I switched to a canister filter an put the spray bar at the bottom of the tank.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
~ I did what you said first, every night I disconnected the CO2 from the dissolving chamber, allowing it to vent into my room. I soon got tired of this because I had to reach into my tank every time, and removing the line from the dissolving chamber, and I didn't want to spill a liter of sugar water into my tank stand again after removing the cap, so I built a shut off valve using quick disconnects, a 1/4" T quick disconnect, and a 1/4" spring check valve, and a 1/4" Shut Off Valve quick disconnect. I attached the T to the out line from the CO2 Generator, then connected the check valve to the middle of the T, flow direction is out, so it can vent the CO2 if it ever pressurizes to much, lastly the shut off valve is connected to the T at the top by the tank's dissolving chamber. Now I can shut the valve off killing the CO2 to the dissolving chamber but still be safe from a pressurized CO2 bomb, the spring check valves are used for air pumps so they take about a psi or two to break the seal and allow the CO2 to be vented off. This might seem complicated but I find turning a shut off valve off instead of removing the line from the chamber or removing the cap of the container and possibly spilling the mixture all over the place to be a lot easier of a solution to this DIY problem of shutting of the CO2 at night.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've never had issues with over-dosing CO2 with a standard mixture. You should be fine as well, assuming you don't use orange juice rather than sugar water (live and learn). However, your setup sounds like it may work well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Can you reflect on the orange juice for us please?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yeah, sure... It blasted CO2 like a garden hose for 2 days, killing a large portion of my RCS colony and giving my fish a run for their money. The third day, it died.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaborn View Post
This might seem complicated but I find turning a shut off valve off instead of removing the line from the chamber or removing the cap of the container and possibly spilling the mixture all over the place to be a lot easier of a solution to this DIY problem of shutting of the CO2 at night.
Why not just hook up an air-pump to a timer?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also have an DIY co2 and a HOB but if you are worried about extrem lvs of CO2 the why dont you add an cheap power head. But I have a 10 gallon tank and I leave my co2 running 24/7 and my fish are a live and well.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
I've never had issues with over-dosing CO2 with a standard mixture. You should be fine as well, assuming you don't use orange juice rather than sugar water (live and learn). However, your setup sounds like it may work well.
I have to disagree here, just finished my DIY CO2 and it has been running for a couple days. Went to look into the tank this morning and lost 2 fish and the others were panting, this is with 3L generator, classic recipe with champagne yeast on a 30gal. I had some surface movement too. So to remedy the situation I just finished setting my reactor on a timer with the lights and an air pump to run at night. Just too much CO2 cranking out, about a bubble a second. Live and learn.

Tags
diy co2, turn off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode