Dose with Flourish 0 0%
Give it a month and see how the improved lighting works 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paintball CO2 Tank DIY Question

I saw the thread for the DIY paintball CO2 and was just curious if anyone is still using this setup? I have all of the parts already so I can set it up fairly easily. I currently have a 110 Tall (48L*21D*31H) and dose every couple of days with Flourish. I have a few Java Ferns and some Anubias. I think I may have 1 sword that is still alive as well. Only my Anubias seem to be growing, the others are just surviving. I just upgraded from my 48" stock dual T8 that came with the tank, so I am hoping the extra light will help. I rarely do water changes because my nitrates are barely ever registering higher than my tap water. I want to dose with CO2, but I don't know if I can talk the wife into letting me buy a system. She has, however, already agreed to let me do the paintball CO2 if it will work. I have 3 GBRs and am looking to get a pair (or two) of the Orange Flash Apistos, and I want some good plant growth before stocking the Apistos. The plants are all close to a year old with my ferns and sword approximately 3" tall. My anubias are both around 10" long and 7" tall. Do I do the paintball CO2 or am I better off dosing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown3589 View Post
I saw the thread for the DIY paintball CO2 and was just curious if anyone is still using this setup? I have all of the parts already so I can set it up fairly easily. I currently have a 110 Tall (48L*21D*31H) and dose every couple of days with Flourish. I have a few Java Ferns and some Anubias. I think I may have 1 sword that is still alive as well. Only my Anubias seem to be growing, the others are just surviving. I just upgraded from my 48" stock dual T8 that came with the tank, so I am hoping the extra light will help. I rarely do water changes because my nitrates are barely ever registering higher than my tap water. I want to dose with CO2, but I don't know if I can talk the wife into letting me buy a system. She has, however, already agreed to let me do the paintball CO2 if it will work. I have 3 GBRs and am looking to get a pair (or two) of the Orange Flash Apistos, and I want some good plant growth before stocking the Apistos. The plants are all close to a year old with my ferns and sword approximately 3" tall. My anubias are both around 10" long and 7" tall. Do I do the paintball CO2 or am I better off dosing?
I stand by the aquatek paintball co2 regulator. I have been using it for 2 years now on my 50 gallon and has never let me down. Its simple to screw the bottle on and off. Just remember to get a timer for it. co2 will shut off when the power goes off. I love it and it was my first co2 system. I wouldn't be surprised if it was my last. T8's are toys in my opinion, upgrade to LED's or at least a t5 ho and you can almost grow anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispyplants View Post
I stand by the aquatek paintball co2 regulator. I have been using it for 2 years now on my 50 gallon and has never let me down. Its simple to screw the bottle on and off. Just remember to get a timer for it. co2 will shut off when the power goes off. I love it and it was my first co2 system. I wouldn't be surprised if it was my last. T8's are toys in my opinion, upgrade to LED's or at least a t5 ho and you can almost grow anything.
Its good to hear someone stand by their aquatek. I just ordered one for my first high tech tank and it should be here today. I opted to spend the extra money on the aquatek instead of putting my own together without a shutoff valve.

As far as the OP, I'll be using the paintball C02 method and its a cheap route to go but less of a fuss than the DIY way. Its much smaller than normal C02 setups and that means its easier to hide in a stand.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
go paintball CO2 .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll probably add one here soon. Also, I upgraded from the t8 setup to a quad t5 setup. Not ho, but still almost 4 times the output. I am considering adding either a Current Satellite freshwater or a Finnex Stingray.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode