DIY C02 using Jello - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question DIY C02 using Jello

So I found this.

Any diy c02 guys out there want to give any input???

From what I understand of it, the jello gives more surface areas for the yeast to feed as well as being slower to dissolve vs just sugar water. So there is a constant c02 supply over the 4 weeks it lasts with less pressure, because as you can see, he uses no pressure gauge or valve. Most the other methods I see only last for 2 weeks or so and are high pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Neat idea tagging along, I dont do diy co2 because of how often it needs to be redone... 4 weeks would be infrequent eniugh to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:19 PM
gog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The rice makes lots of sense although I've never tried it. Not sure what is gained by using Jello though. It seems that all it might do is break down slower than regular sugar. The rice is already a good source of longer term food for the yeast and its not hard to pack plenty of sugar into the mixture. I find that most people try to just dissolve their sugar in warm water but its more efficient to boil equal parts water and sugar then let it cool. That's what I do and I find that between that and the baking soda I get 3-4 weeks of consistent production although I'm just eyeballing the bubble counter so I can't really say that for sure.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ok now I found an existing post from 11ish years ago from this very forum 5 pages long about using jello co2 recipes. One guy said he gets three months out of it by lowering the sugar mixed in with the jello.

Here that is.

From what I have read there and a few other places the duration and the speed of co2 production can very by sugar, what type yeast you use, and even what kind of jello can factor in. Kind as in brand or unflavored jello sheets/cubes.

I am just wanting a simple and easy co2 method for my 20 gallon long tank that is not heavy planted. I just want my ground cover to spread well. So if I can get something around 18 bubbles a min like one of the posts said was his average. That should be perfect for my needs and more so if I do not have to screw with it more than once a month or longer. I also really love the idea of it being much lower pressure. It will do a lot less damage and make much less of a mess for a ocean spray bottle to pop its cap vs. a soda bottle, if something happens, such as a clogged hose. I even thought of a way to make it safer by using a cat litter bucket to house the bottles under the aquarium with holes in the lid for the tubes.

Once I expectment with this week after next week I will have to post updates. Once I order and get the co2 safe tubing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode