The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY skimmer

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  elilk 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I had my first painless diy experience recently, (the rest have been truly painful, I think I'm getting the hang of it now).
I'm not sure who I got the idea from (I've searched but can't find it). My newly planted tank was thick with scum after a few days, so much so I wasn't sure how I would feed my fish, looking up to the surface from the bottom was a thick film covering it with dust sitting on top(my house gets pretty dusty).
I'm using diy Co2 so the filter only ripples the surface. So I headed off to bunnings and bought some white PVC pressure pipe and an end cap, drilled a few different sized holes in the capped end and cut some teeth for the top end and slid it over the intake of my jebo after removing the intake sieve basket thingy which I cut a hole in the bottom of and slid up to the top of the pipe to strain out the curious fish.
In 10 minutes (and after drilling some extra holes down the bottom to stop the air from getting into the filter) the surface of my water was sparkling and my fish could once agin play up the top.
I then pushed the Co2 tubing into one of the bottom holes to use the filter as a diffuser. WooHoo I love DIY!!
Total cost $6 and a trip to the hardware:thumbsup:

Here are some pics in case my garbled explanation is not clear

I'm planning on training the val around it to hid it a bit

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.