Beautify Your HOB!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautify Your HOB!!

So my have recently started my first planted tank. Mixed up some bomb @ss mineralized topsoil and got a 20gallon tall goin. So now that I finally have a tank full of beautiful plants, I can't help but notice the ugly HOB even more...

I have been working on converting and old Aquaclear 200(50) into a planted HOB. Lots of guys on the forum have done this and it usually looks awesome.

I swapped the pump impeller form a AQ20 HOB to decrease the flow through rate. Then I superglued some Malaysian driftwood I cut up to the front. Slows the flow more, looks cool, and will alow moss to grow on it.

Using a corse sponge from a marineland canister filter cut to fit on the top of filter media stack
Use the corse/more porous sponge as it allows more flow around roots, and I can root the plants right into it. All the mechanical filtration seems to be handled by the fluval edge prefilter sponge on the current filter, so I will fill the filter with bio max media only( with the sponge on top of course)

Got a small desk lamp from Walmart, using a 26w 6400k cfl spiral plant bulb. I will probably swap it with a smaller 5000k Cree LED bulb to save more power

Next step is adding stainless steel mesh to the waterfall to alow moss to cling to the slide part of the filter, then put some plants in it. Gunna try some of my bacopa when I trim it maybe, or I saw some dwarf four leaf clover at the LFS that could work nice. Probably get some weeping moss as it should give nice effect on the hanging wood.

The tank is in my basment where I work out, should really liven up the room! What do you think?? I'll get more pics up when I'm done planting it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	443530  

Last edited by Wilderman204; 03-12-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Aq50 not a 70...typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Found stainless steel mesh, just cut up a strainer from the dollar store, huntil it on an empty tank to give an idea
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	104
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	443554  

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's a really cool idea. With plants it'll look great. Keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Gheez, that IS really neat. I had a tough time looking at it from the top picture, but the second pic was something of an "AHA!" moment.

Then I had a hard time accepting that you actually found a piece of DW that actually had the perfect shape and contours, but it looks as though a few extra pieces were added separately to cover more of the HOB.

That's gonna look incredible!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok the glue has been drying for about a day, so I threw some cycled bio media in under the new stuff and pruned a bit of bacopa monnieri to test out in there. I will pick up other plants and some moss in the next couple days. ( I put some plastic over the bacopa after the pic to help it acclimate to growing emersed, humidity in the basement is only about 25-30% in the winter got to love Manitoba...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	101
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	443562  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fish eye view,You can just see the wood up at the back. Would look good with weeping moss hanging down back there.
How do I post a video? When the water level is below the wood it makes a soft waterfall feature. I'm thinking that my method could be modified to make an easy maintenance waterfall filter for a palladrium!! Hmmm.. Turn my 15gallon into a vampir crab habitat with an AQ 20 waterfall??
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	105
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	443570  

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Planted Member

What's up with the tea bag?

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Probably to add tannins, reduce pH and create a black water tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh geez! Its growing!!!haha jk found another good chunk of driftwood in the cutoffs. A lil super glue gel and now it's part of the HOB

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishophile View Post
What's up with the tea bag?
Just google "rooibos tea aquarium", not actually "tea" and has no caffeine, just health boosting tanins. Hope combination of rooibos, and new driftwood buffering the ph a lil and triggers my black phantom tetra to spawn. But remember Rooibos doesn't lower ph, too much will actually bump it up.
Stuff is crazy, like a super mood relaxer for fish.
Seems to work like an ON switch for their Colors too. Alway made my fish happy in non planted tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	103
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	443594  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Woke up to the bacopa trying to push up the plastic, guess it's liking it. Still a work in progress
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	88
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	443778  

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok the bacopa started to get melty to I ditched it, getting moss and plants on Friday. This would look good with just moss too, like its growing out of the filter. So far the superglued drift wood is holding.

Quick note: I bought ONE chunk of drift wood $8canadian, and cut it up into what you see, i looked through 8 differnt pet/fish stores to find a "good" peice. I did my best to try and make the peices look natural, like I left the filter in the water too long and something started growing around it.
It has helped reduce surface agitation , and diffused the flow of the filter. This would be helpful for anyone running an oversized filter that is causing to much turbulence in their tank.
I used a band saw, hammer and chisel, and a dremel to shape and cut the wood. Maylaysian drift wood is hard as rocks! Use caution when cutting awkwardly shaped hardwood.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	87
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	444914  

Tags
diy, filter, hob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode